Pecan Shells

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fished, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, if not could the Mod's move it to where it should be.

I wanted to know if anyone has used pecan shells to smoke with and if so did you have to anything special with them?

Thanks for the help.

Ed

2. bluewhisper

bluewhisper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I've wondered about that, too, let's see what answers come in.

3. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Yes you can use nut shells for smoking. Pistachio and pecan are used quite often.

4. I have done a rough grind in coffee grinder and put in amps. loved the results.

Charles t.

5. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I always have a couple of 5 gallon buckets full under my smokers. Be careful though....... the nut's meat when burned makes the smoke bitter. so try and pick out the pieces. Also look for a heavy plastic bucket with a lid to keep them in, they draw rats, mice, and squirrels like crazy!

I always throw some in the pit while grilling, they work great in the chip tray on a MES, as well as the cold smoker. You can use the foil snake trick with them also an old tin can with holes punched in the bottom.

I have not tryed grinding them.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  6. welshrarebit

welshrarebit Master of the Pit

I've used Mac nut shells before. The only thing I didn't like was it was like using wood chips: you get a lot of smoke for a little while then nothing.

I bet mixing some with some pellets and putting in a amnts would work good...

7. Hmmmm, pecan shell smoked squirrel.

8. yea squirrels eat nuts, i eat squirrels. sounds like a heck of a combo.

good luck and MERRY CHRISTMAS[​IMG]

9. As said above. Nut shells are often used. now where is that squirrel [​IMG]

Happy smoken.

David

10. squirrel

squirrel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

11. ak1

ak1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I always save my pistachio shells for just such a thing.