Pecan Pie ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
My low level alarm went off yesterday in my sweet tooth. I was going to make a lemon Meringue but while building the crust I realized I didn't have that much patience left in me and pecan was much faster!!

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0186.JPG

And then there was breakfast this morning! (w/ Blue Bell Ice Cream!)

IMG_0191.JPG

Recipe?

Ms. Maida's Pecan Pie

7 extra large eggs (I said it was good, not low calorie)

1 ½ C Dark Karo Syrup (corn syrup)

¾ C Brown sugar

1 stick Melted butter

1 Tbs Vanilla

1 pinch Salt

1 C Chopped pecans

9” pie crust

Mix it all up pour into pie shell.

Bake @ 425 for 15 mins, then reduce to 325 for 45 mins. It will puff up, it’s the cooking eggs. When the pie is done (set) all ow to rest till the cool. The top will drop back down to where you expected to me. If you don’t cool before cutting it will be a mess. Remember Patience!

Notes:

You can change the dark Karo and dark sugar to light Karo and white sugar but omit the vanilla.

Prepare the crust and line pie pan first, after you break the eggs in a bowl for mixing, get a brush and paint the top of the crust with the egg. Makes it brown better!

I also add some sugar to my pie crust but that’s another story.

looks delicious, got to say though I don't remember ever having pecan pie, maybe i'll have to put it on the bucket list

Looks great, Foamy. My absolute favorite pie. Stealing the recipe, need to compare to mine. I know I tend to use as many pecans as the crust will hold, then let the "sauce" fill in the gaps.
For my money Dark Karo is the only way to go.

Reactions: Bamabww
I love pecan pie . Yours looks great .
I eat all my ice cream , pie , cake for breakfast . Any later in the day , and I have to sleep standing up !

Kevin I left the Like yesterday an my internet crapped.Nice job on the pie I always use your crust on all my pies at home.
Richie

Pie looks great! Especially enjoy the breakfast.

Thank you

Its hard to beat a piece a pie and a cup of coffee.

looks delicious, got to say though I don't remember ever having pecan pie, maybe i'll have to put it on the bucket list

Thank you

You definitely need to try a piece. I have never had a bad piece, even the ones that had to be eaten with a spoon.

My homemade apple pie....

Some good looking pies!

Looks great, Foamy. My absolute favorite pie. Stealing the recipe, need to compare to mine. I know I tend to use as many pecans as the crust will hold, then let the "sauce" fill in the gaps.
For my money Dark Karo is the only way to go.

Thank you

I do just a few nuts, no teeth makes it hard to eat nuts. I dump my chopped nuts into the "sauce" and then pour it all in the pie shell. The nuts float up after getting covered in the "sauce", which crystallizes with sugar when baked. Nice candy covered chopped nut topping. Sister does hers like you do. But she much more frugal with her ingredients. LOL

I love pecan pie . Yours looks great .

I eat all my ice cream , pie , cake for breakfast . Any later in the day , and I have to sleep standing up !

Thanks

I try to keep vanilla ice cream in the freezer just for toppings... LOL I really prefer the French Vanilla Ice Cream but since Blue Bell has come back up making ice cream again, the french vanilla is a seasonal flavor only made in November. You can always get Homemade or vanilla bean, just not the french vanilla.

Thank you Richie. I am glad you like it. I probably mess up as many as I make right, I am always fumbling around trying to make 'em better, taster, flakier, etc.

Idon't know why you are trying to fix something that is not broke.Perfect crust that everyone raves about.Thanks Again for the recipe an how to do it
Richie

I love a good Pecan pie, yours looks delicious as usual!! Sure could use a slice with my coffee right now!

Like!

My low level alarm went off yesterday in my sweet tooth. I was going to make a lemon Meringue but while building the crust I realized I didn't have that much patience left in me and pecan was much faster!!

View attachment 405996

View attachment 405998

View attachment 405997

View attachment 405999

Recipe?

Ms. Maida's Pecan Pie

7 extra large eggs (I said it was good, not low calorie)

1 ½ C Dark Karo Syrup (corn syrup)

¾ C Brown sugar

1 stick Melted butter

1 Tbs Vanilla

1 pinch Salt

1 C Chopped pecans

9” pie crust

Mix it all up pour into pie shell.

Bake @ 425 for 15 mins, then reduce to 325 for 45 mins. It will puff up, it’s the cooking eggs. When the pie is done (set) all ow to rest till the cool. The top will drop back down to where you expected to me. If you don’t cool before cutting it will be a mess. Remember Patience!

Notes:

You can change the dark Karo and dark sugar to light Karo and white sugar but omit the vanilla.

Prepare the crust and line pie pan first, after you break the eggs in a bowl for mixing, get a brush and paint the top of the crust with the egg. Makes it brown better!

I also add some sugar to my pie crust but that’s another story.
Well, I am getting pretty good at making your Strawberry Pie. Now I am going to do this one soon. You know southerners love pecan pie!!

Dang , gonna check ingredients immediately. That looks and sounds fantastic. Pecan pie is awesome.
Have you ever done a walnut ? Had a piece from small town about a month ago.( Excellent )Should have checked to see if they were willing to share recipe

Idon't know why you are trying to fix something that is not broke.Perfect crust that everyone raves about.Thanks Again for the recipe an how to do it
Richie

I am not built that way, I have to screw it up 10 times to come back to the originally for a few then I'll have to try something different anay. LOL I need tweakers anonymous!

Well, I am getting pretty good at making your Strawberry Pie. Now I am going to do this one soon. You know southerners love pecan pie!!

Its all those pecan trees we have in the south. You should see my trees this year, the limbs are heavy with fruit with all the water ('course the fertilizer last winter was double dosed too!).

Reactions: Hawging It
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky