Peach Dump Cake in the Smoker - Oh Man!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TulsaJeff

Smoke Whisperer
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
Jun 28, 2005
Tulsa, OK

Wade Smith, a newsletter subscriber, sent me his dump cake recipe and I, of course, cooked it in the smoker (pellet smoker). It could easily be cooked in the oven as well but I figure this is a great thing to do in the pellet smoker and keep the heat out of the kitchen.

Because it's cooked at a higher heat, there is little to no smoke to speak of and you don't end up getting smoke flavor in the cake.. this may disappoint some and make others happy. Regardless, it's one of the easiest desserts I've ever made and everyone who tried it, admitted it was pretty darn good!

Some of you may be wondering why it's called “dump cake” and I'll tell you what I told my 5 year old grandson.. “because you dump everything in the bowl and cook it just like that without any fuss”.

This one is peach but it's just as easy to make it apple, cherry, blueberry, etc. by simply using a different pie filling!

Helpful Information
  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 45-60 minutes
  • Smoker Temp: 375°F
  • Recommended Wood: Any flavor of pellet will work
What You'll Need
  • Yellow cake mix (15.25 ounces or similar)
  • 2 cans (20 ounces each) of peach pie filling (or apple, cherry, etc.)
  • 1 stick of butter (¼ lb)
  • ½ teaspoon all spice
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
Step 1: Pie Filling into Bowl
Pie filling into a 9 x 13 dish.

IMG_1178-700x525.jpg

Step 2: Dump Cake into Dish
I didn't actually "dump" it.. I sort of poured it all over the top of the fruit as evenly as I could but I figure you can probably take as little pains as you like with this part.

As you can see it certainly was not even but then, it doesn't have to be;-)

IMG_1179-1-700x525.jpg

Press it down firmly all over.. I opted to use a potato masher for this and it worked great!

IMG_1181-700x525.jpg

Step 3: Slices of Butter All Over
Cut a stick of butter into a bunch of smaller pieces. I ended up with 16 pieces but don't count them or you're missing the whole point of the dump cake.

Lay the pieces all over the top of the pressed down cake mix.

I forced myself to NOT make even rows.. that was difficult but I persevered!

IMG_1185-700x525.jpg

Step 4: Spices on Top
I poured what looked like ½ teaspoon each of all spice and cinnamon into my hand, mixed the two together and sprinkled the mixture all over the top of the cake mix and butter.

IMG_1189-700x525.jpg

Step 5: Preheat Smoker
Preheat the pellet smoker to 375°F using whatever pellets you have available.

This preheating step should probably be done before you even start putting the ingredients into the dish.. depends on how efficient you want to be.

IMG_1192-700x525.jpg

Step 6: Cook the Dump Cake
Place the dump cake into the smoker and let it begin it's 45-60 minute vacation in the smoke and heat.

IMG_1194-1-700x525.jpg

I was using a Pyrex dish and, based on past experiences, I opted to NOT lay the cold dish directly onto the very hot grates.

When I was ready to insert the cake, I placed a pan with a Bradley rack on the grates and sat the Pyrex dish on top of that. In this way it could heat up more slowly and evenly and no exploding glass.

In case you haven't figured it out, I've had bad experiences with glass dishes changing temperature too quickly!

Step 7: Finish
Unlike meat, we are not looking for a certain temperature but rather a pleasing golden brown color.

Check it at 30 minutes, then again at 45 minutes and sort of go from there.

Mine took 60 minutes but depending on your smoker and perhaps the type of pan or dish that you use, this could vary for you.

IMG_1204-1-700x525.jpg

Step 8: Let it Cool
Set it on the counter and let it cool for a few minutes before serving, or serve it right away if you insist.

I served myself a piece and, in that moment, there was nothing more perfect!

IMG_1223-1-700x525.jpg

From a recipe posted at https://www.smoking-meat.com/dump-cake-in-the-pellet-smoker

Attachments

• IMG_1212-watermarked-scaled.jpg
    IMG_1212-watermarked-scaled.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Add a little ice cream to this and you may slap a very dear relative:emoji_laughing:

Reactions: yankee2bbq
Add a little ice cream to this and you may slap a very dear relative

Believe me sir, that was one of the first thoughts that crossed my mind :emoji_wink: I might even throw in some of those Tennessee moonshine peaches I got in the Christmas exchange last year. That could be an interesting twist.

Robert

Reactions: TulsaJeff
That looks to be scrumptious, bookmarked! I'll have to give it a shot in my oven, thanks Jeff!

That looks delicious and easy enough, I'll have to give it a try. Well, good bye diet, lol.

Sounds good my wife makes dump cake all the time but never thought about in the smoker. But have cooked them under our wood stove on the hearth.

Warren

Very nice! That brings memories of Dutch oven cooking as a scout!

Oh very good advice on the glassware....many many years ago my wife was making a roasted Italian dish and poured a can of stewed maters in while hot, it was like a bomb went off..... glass and maters all over the kitchen......she was barefoot so I had to clean a path for her to get out so she could go get pizza while I shop vac’d

Yes sir that might be going on this weekend ! Not a baker either but I believe I can handle this. Thanks for sharing Jeff

You can use 2 ~20oz cans. I do it all the time. My favorite is one crushed pineapple and one cherry pie filling. You can also melt the butter and pour it on top of the cake mix. I tend to top it with brown sugar and/or flake coconut.

You can use 2 ~20oz cans. I do it all the time. My favorite is one crushed pineapple and one cherry pie filling. You can also melt the butter and pour it on top of the cake mix. I tend to top it with brown sugar and/or flake coconut.

Thanks for the tips! That cherry pineapple sounds great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky