Patina then clear coat then season?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boobooq

Original poster
Jan 16, 2024
Hello new here. Doin research to build my on offset smoker and like the look of rust with clear coat. But was wondering how seasoning goes with this process?

I know the patina is only done to the outside but seasoning also goes on the outside correct? Is there a specific order? Can seasoning go on cured clear coat? I live near the ocean so I have to protect the smoker regardless of what I put on the outside. Any advice is appreciated.

Not sure if this helps...but, perhaps a place to start:

Back in the day, I used to build muzzle loaders from scratch (not kits - block of wood and parts) - Derringers to long rifles. The barrels were all steel and would rust unless blued or treated in some other fashion. You can't blue an antique weapon - even if just a replica - that would just be wrong! So I used a product called "Plumb Brown Barrel Finish" It is available on Amazon (I checked). Once the barrel was browned to my liking, I would oil it. It would have a reddish brown (plum) colored appearance. Maybe instead of oiling, you would apply the clear coat.

The process was heat the metal, apply the plumb brown, fine/light pressure steel wool the crusty rust, repeat until an even finish was achieved.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Not sure if this helps...but, perhaps a place to start:

Back in the day, I used to build muzzle loaders from scratch (not kits - block of wood and parts) - Derringers to long rifles. The barrels were all steel and would rust unless blued or treated in some other fashion. You can't blue an antique weapon - even if just a replica - that would just be wrong! So I used a product called "Plumb Brown Barrel Finish" It is available on Amazon (I checked). Once the barrel was browned to my liking, I would oil it. It would have a reddish brown (plum) colored appearance. Maybe instead of oiling, you would apply the clear coat.

The process was heat the metal, apply the plumb brown, fine/light pressure steel wool the crusty rust, repeat until an even finish was achieved.
This was great I looked it all up and will employ some of this. Ty very much.

Here is a pic of a rifle barrel that I used Plumb Brown on. I put a bright light on it so you could see what it looks like outside but in the shade it is about the color above the well lit section.
image.jpg

a local metal shop that distresses a lot of yard ornaments sprays muratic acid on the products. Leaves outside a few days for the patina they want. wash off then clear. So I guess season first

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky