Pastured turkey conundrum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

donr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Akron, Ohio
I am picking up a pasture raised turkey this Wednesday.  I am leaving for my in-laws house late Wednesday night.

The plan was to cook that lovely bird there on Thursday.  My plans have been changed and that is not going to happen.

So I will have a fresh, just eviscerated, awesome turkey that I have to freeze.  

I may be able to get a Poultry shrink wrap bag, but not sure yet.  If I can't how should I wrap it up to put into the freezer?  Probably cook at Christmas time.

I was thinking wrap the heck out of it in Saran Wrap, then in butcher/freezer paper.

Any  suggestions would be helpful.

Don

I think your plan is about as good you're going to get. They don't make vac-sealer bags big enough for a turkey (that I know of...would love to have 'em if they do), so wrap the daylights out of it, as you said. Be sure to fill the cavity with the neck, gizzard, liver, etc...you may or may not want them for gravy, but it helps for freezing if the cavity is filled.

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky