Pastrami time!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CFLJOHN512

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 9, 2020
Corned beef briskets are on sale so I grabbed a 5 pounder. Soaked it in ice water for about an hour. Changed the water out 3-4 times to drop the salt content. Brown mustard binder and lots of fresh cracked pepper. Then it was onto the smoker at 275° with some apple wood. Got a stall at 155° and foiled it and back on. About 8 hours later It hit 205°. Wrapped it with towels and into the cooler for 45 mins. We sloced it thin and made some hot pastrami and Swiss sammiches on rye. Gotta have that spicy mustard. We killed about a third of it. Brought the leftovers in for a few guys at work to enjoy for lunch.

Attachments

• A70A49AA-1782-453E-B3BA-2290BD701AF8.jpeg
    A70A49AA-1782-453E-B3BA-2290BD701AF8.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 46
  • A3695469-1A2A-46B5-AE3F-8EF681EBA668.jpeg
    A3695469-1A2A-46B5-AE3F-8EF681EBA668.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 47
  • D417C158-5DD7-4D24-B1A9-8AE2443C9A27.jpeg
    D417C158-5DD7-4D24-B1A9-8AE2443C9A27.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 46
tenor-gif.gif

Pastrami looks great man! I smoked about 10 pounds yesterday myself. No kraut and thousand island to top off the sandwich?

Looks good. I was just thinking about pastrami yesterday. Where were they on sale?

Around here Kroger's had them for $3.99 a lb. Most everywhere else was $5.99lb.

Im fixin to do the same but im looking at 7-9 days.

yours looks good

That's some really nice looking stuff. Great job and I do love a hot pastrami and Swiss sandwich. May have to swing by a couple stores and see what I can find for corned beef to make into pastrami or just do it from scratch with briskets.

Robert

2.99/lb? I haven't seen that around here for a couple of years. I don't even look at it anymore. I just do my own from Brisket now....
Nice looking Pastrami, sir!

Nice piece of work, on my list as soon as the Patty's Day sales hit town, Like! RAY

View attachment 488199

Pastrami looks great man! I smoked about 10 pounds yesterday myself. No kraut and thousand island to top off the sandwich?

Around here Kroger's had them for $3.99 a lb. Most everywhere else was $5.99lb.
The best Reuben I ever had was at a sports bar/pub in downtown Minneapolis that used Russian instead of Thousand Island. That's my go-to ever since....

Great looking pastrami. Mrs. Wurst is @ Aldi now and called to ask if I wanted a CB from there? I think she said the price was around $2.95/$3.00 $3.99per lb. Told her to pick up 2 of them. Can't wait to see what we have to play with. 🍻

Last edited:
I just picked up two corn beef flats at Meijers for $2.99 per pound that I'm going to try make some Pastrami with . I was thinking I'd need to soak them over night to get the salt out. An hour soak with 4 or 5 changes would make things easier, I could start the soaking just before lighting the fire.

Very nice pastrami!

I picked one up last week for $3.19/lb at Wally World. Probably pick up a few more because one will definitely be corned beef and cabbage, I could make pastrami and freeze the rest.

Nice work on that Pastrami. You're saying you only soaked the Corned Beef for an hour? Changed water 3-4 times during that hour? And seasoned only with Black pepper? That sounds easy enough. Thanks for sharing, looks delicious, and that's one of my favorite sandwiches. 1000 island or Russian dressing works for me.

Reactions: CFLJOHN512
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky