Pastrami serving help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

30" Jim

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 9, 2017
My granddaughter has requested that I make Pastrami for her graduation party.
My son is providing pulled pork and her other grandfather is doing his home made Spiedini.
I want to bring the Pastrami already sliced. I will smoke to 170 IT, pull from the smoker and wrap in foil. ( I have done this several times and it works fine.)
What I need help with is when to slice and reheat.
1. Let it rest, then slice and rewrap. Store in the fridge till the day of the party. Then reheat in the foil and keep hot for the 45 minute drive to the party.
2. Let it rest, then wrap. Store in the fridge and slice then reheat the day of the party. keep hot for the 45 minute drive to the party.

Any thought would be appreciated!

I think either option will work, but I would re-heat it at the party.
Or just serve it cold. Personally I like cold pastrami better than warm.
Slice it cold at the party.
Al

I'm with Al on this one. Reheat it at the party or eat it cold. I normally reheat on a frying pan and make grilled Ruebens

Chris

30" Jim,

I've done something similar a number of times in the past with pretty good success. I would finish it, wrap, and refrigerate until the day of the party. I would rewarm it in a 200F oven with the pastrami (whole/unsliced) on a rack in a roasting pan with some water to steam it to an IT of ~ 160F. Remove, double wrap with HD foil and a heavy towel, then into a small cooler for the trip. Slice and serve at the party.

Thanks for the input.
Slicing at the party is not an option. I want to use my slicer so that I can get nice uniform slices about 1/4" thick. Way too much work to drag the slicer to the party and besides it is an outdoor party so I can't depend on electricity being available.
Same problem for reheating at the party. Can't depend on electricity.
Looks like my best option is to reheat and slice at home before leaving for the party.
The only thing left to decide is what order: slice then heat or heat then slice?

Thanks for the input.
Slicing at the party is not an option. I want to use my slicer so that I can get nice uniform slices about 1/4" thick. Way too much work to drag the slicer to the party and besides it is an outdoor party so I can't depend on electricity being available.
Same problem for reheating at the party. Can't depend on electricity.
Looks like my best option is to reheat and slice at home before leaving for the party.
The only thing left to decide is what order: slice then heat or heat then slice?

I understand. Heat then slice. Reform the shape as best as possible on the foil, pour on any accumulated juices from slicing, wrap, and go.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky