PASTRAMI FROM SCRATCH ON THE LANG

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

So I got a beautiful smoked pastrami, good bark, good color, good texture and pull but woha way too salty!! The test fry was a touch salty but not bad. What did I do wrong? Should I soak in water overnight next time? Lessen the brine time? And any suggestions on what to make with really salty pastrami I got a couple pounds?? lol
Next time I would soak it longer.

Or next time you may want to try the dry cure method.

I think they pick up more flavor & mine wasn't salty at all.

With the kraut & swiss a reuben may hide the extra saltiness. Or some good hash might work.

How about pastrami chili?

I don't know, I'm sure you will find something to use it for.

Al

Off topic I tried to give points but do not know how.  A search said I should see a scale in the upper right of my post but I do not.

Am I too much of a noob to be giving points or what? haha.

There is a little green thumbs up at the bottom of each post.

Just click on the green thumb of the post you want to give points to and another box will pop up asking you for a comment.

You can add a comment or just click on add to reputation & the point will be awarded.

Al

Off topic I tried to give points but do not know how.  A search said I should see a scale in the upper right of my post but I do not.

Am I too much of a noob to be giving points or what? haha.
That "scales" thing is the "OLD" instructions---Real Old.

Al gave you the new way---Easy to use.

Bear

Next time I would soak it longer.

Or next time you may want to try the dry cure method.

I think they pick up more flavor & mine wasn't salty at all.

With the kraut & swiss a reuben may hide the extra saltiness. Or some good hash might work.

How about pastrami chili?

I don't know, I'm sure you will find something to use it for.

Al
I did do they dry cure method. I just rinsed it after though. I guess I will soak a lot next time and change out the water. I was thinking in a chilli as well! Also mixed in a fretta. Probably could go in a pea or bean soup............

That's some great looking pastrami Al! What percentage of salt and sugar did you use with the cure calculator?

I have made corned beef and pastrami before with an equilibrium brine but I would like trying a dry brine like you did. Saves on fridge space :)

That's some great looking pastrami Al! What percentage of salt and sugar did you use with the cure calculator?

I have made corned beef and pastrami before with an equilibrium brine but I would like trying a dry brine like you did. Saves on fridge space :)
Hey Mike,

Not only does it save on space, but I think you get a better flavor with the dry cure.

2% salt, 1% sugar.

Let me know how yours turns out!

Al

Al - Im moving on with this addiction of smoking and gonna do this recipe next week or so. Thanks for the post
I'm glad I could inspire you to do different things.

Let me know how it turns out, better yet start your own thread & give us your experience.

Al

Al,
Look amazing. My mouth is watering This will be my next venture on my Lang. What kind of wood did you use? And did you find that the French onion soup softened the bark in the pan too much?

Al,
Look amazing. My mouth is watering This will be my next venture on my Lang. What kind of wood did you use? And did you find that the French onion soup softened the bark in the pan too much?
I use oak & hickory, because it's easy to get around here.

No it didn't soften the bark at  all, but when you use a pan, obviously there won't be any bark on the bottom.

The top & sides stay nice & crispy.

Al

Al, all your food looks amazing.  I am new to this, so I was worried I wouldnt have enough ideas to justify really getting into this hobby.  I had such a good time seasoning my River Grille vertical wood smoker over the weekend, I can only imagine how fun it is with actual food in there. 

Al, all your food looks amazing.  I am new to this, so I was worried I wouldnt have enough ideas to justify really getting into this hobby.  I had such a good time seasoning my River Grille vertical wood smoker over the weekend, I can only imagine how fun it is with actual food in there. 
Thank you Sir!

Good luck with your first smoke!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky