Pasteurization Charts Discrepancy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm not a SV'er so excuse my lack of knowledge, but what would be gained by doing corn on the cob in an SV.
It's pretty tough to overcook anything in the Sous Vide. That's why I do it. I'll toss a vaccuum sealed bag of asparagus and butter into the bath as my steaks are coming out to be seared.

I used to do it at the recommended 183 , but saw an episode of Americas test kitchen that used 170 ( on the stove ) had something to do with the starch gets tough after 170 . I don't like raw either ,, this had some bite , but tender .

I saw that. There are so may ways people say makes the best corn. Brine, simmer with salt, no salt add sugar, simmer in milk and sugar, microwave, steam, in the husk, out of the husk, in the husk but remove the silk, I could go on. I can't remember the show, but the host said that corn is as good as it gets just of the stalk. Over time Sugars convert to Starch and flavor is lost. The biggest point they made was, Corn only needs to be heated! Do not cook it more than needed to heat to 160-165°F tops. I have had raw corn, I pulled off the stalk. It is tasty and very sweet but, for me, nothing beats corn grilled until 50% of the kernels brown and it is covered in enough Butter and Salt to PO my Cardiologist!...JJ

Reactions: jaxgatorz
All we've every done is put the corn into a pot of cold water. Turn the heat on high once it starts to boil turn the heat off, and let the corn sit in the pot.

Chris

I'm not a SV'er so excuse my lack of knowledge, but what would be gained by doing corn on the cob in an SV.

Chris

If you try it you will know, it's the best corn I have ever eaten, and we don't get real good corn down here in FL like you guys up North get!
Al

.. I can't remember the show, but the host said that corn is as good as it gets just of the stalk. Over time Sugars convert to Starch and flavor is lost. The biggest point they made was, Corn only needs to be heated! Do not cook it more than needed to heat to 160-165°F tops. I have had raw corn, I pulled off the stalk. It is tasty and very sweet but, for me, nothing beats corn grilled until 50% of the kernels brown and it is covered in enough Butter and Salt to PO my Cardiologist!...JJ

Because of consumer demand, and the world we live in, that is why we now have the "enhanced" corns. We have (SU), (SE), and (SH2). These were developed to allow corn to be picked at practically any time, and shipped across the country. The extra sugar covers up the starch flavor, that is inevitable.

I personally prefer "ol' fashioned" corn. Just good corn flavor, with lots of butter and salt. Not sugar on a stick, like the current consumer demand. And old fashioned corn is certainly best when picked at about Sunrise, and stored in the fridge until it meets is demise.

All we've every done is put the corn into a pot of cold water. Turn the heat on high once it starts to boil turn the heat off, and let the corn sit in the pot.

Chris

Growing up, thats how my family always did it too. Nothing complicated.

Reactions: smik1
I had the opportunity to grow up eating the East Coast famous Jersey Corn. In season, it was not unusual to see cars from NY, MD, DE and PA at country farm stands near the border of those states. Jersey Corn, in the 60's and 70's, was sweet but, as described above, had a deep CORN flavor. A really great part of late summer picnics...JJ

Chris

WE get the best corn from the best place---New Jersey.

Mrs Bear makes it just like you do, and we always loved it.
I tried corn in my SV twice---Following two different guys' methods.
I saw nothing better than the way you & Mrs Bear make corn.

SV is awesome, but IMHO, it's a waste of time for corn.

Bear

SV is awesome, but IMHO, it's a waste of time for corn.

Bear

Now hold on. Maybe need to re-think the corn thing. Maybe instead of water, just use melted butter. Let the corn bob around in pure liquid gold for a good while.. :D

I think thats how Long John Silvers used to their "cobettes". Some of the nastiest corn on the Planet.

Now hold on. Maybe need to re-think the corn thing. Maybe instead of water, just use melted butter. Let the corn bob around in pure liquid gold for a good while.. :D

I think thats how Long John Silvers used to their "cobettes". Some of the nastiest corn on the Planet.

Great Idea!!
Just can't get enough Butter on Corn!!
I used to plaster a lot of butter & salt on a slice of bread. Then wrap & slide the corn on the cob through it.
Now I just do that with Butter. No more salt for me.

Bear

Last edited:
Great Idea!!
I used to plaster a lot of butter & salt on a slice of bread. Then wrap & slide the corn on the cop through it.

Bear
coat in butter, roll in powdered butter milk, then fry in butter!
<kidding, no idea if that will work or not...> LOL!!!

Chris
How long do you normally leave it sit in the pot before ready to eat ?
Not a fan of overcooked cob that's for sure. Have done on grill numerous times, is pretty good.

Great Idea!!
I used to plaster a lot of butter & salt on a slice of bread. Then wrap & slide the corn on the cob through it.

Bear

Exactly how I do it. People will look at you like your crazy. Then they realize the genius!

And since its corn, its practically healthy. :D

And on a side note of things that "looks good on paper..", we ate a fancy burger joint that is new in town. They had "buttermilk fried bacon". Ill just say, it looks good on paper. Reality was a harsh mistress. :cool:

Not a fan of overcooked cob that's for sure. Have done on grill numerous times, is pretty good.

About 10 minutes should do it.

I've had it deep fried , dipped in butter , then rolled in powdered ranch dressing . Pretty good .

Farmerchad is about right 10 mins or so. Once I put them in the boiling water I start grilling my burgers or dogs. Both finish around the same time.

During fresh corn season we have a sacrificial stick of butter that is used for corn on the cob. All we do is roll the corn length wise along the top of the butter stick. When your done wrap up the butter and toss it in the fridge.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky