Partial brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scobeyjohn

Original poster
Jul 5, 2016
Being single, sometimes I won't be smoking large quantities.  Today I got a 4lb point.  As far as heat and time, would I smoke it the same as a whole?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  If it comes out good I will do a whole one later for family to come over. 

Thanks, that's what I was thinking but its good to find out for sure. 

You would still figure about 2 hours per pound at 225.

In my opinion the point is the best part of a brisket.

Good luck!

Al

I will also be doing mine today.  We can compare notes after it settles in our stomach.

Are you putting something below it to catch the grease drippings?  I thought I would and could use it to baste halfway through.

​Thanks, it really was great.  Is it difficult to learn how to make smoked sausage?  I lived in Germany for 2 years and that is one thing I miss.

How did it come out?  I really enjoyed the juiciness of mine.
Not so good.  It was a bit stronger than the family liked it.  I was a bit disappointed in how long it took as well.  I figured 5 to 6 hours, and at hour 6 I finally just wrapped it in foil and finished it up in the oven.  I should know better as every smoke I have done has gone way longer than I have calculated.  

I used Hickory, which may have been a mistake.  I was going to use Pecan, but the Hickory was the first bag I saw.  LOL.  Also, I kept the smoke going thru the whole process.  Again, I think that may have contributed to nobody liking it.  Maybe cut the smoke off at hour 2 or 3 and just slow cook it the rest of the way.  

My last mistake was I just used Salt, Pepper, Onion and Garlic.  Chef Jimmy gave me a rub recipe that has been a real hit with the family, I should have used that instead.  Might have given it a bit more of a pleasant taste.  

Either way, I am going to give it another try when I see the meat go back on sale.  So far I am hitting about .500.  They have liked a few things, and not liked a few.  I want to try sausage one of these days, but I will wait a bit. 

Glad yours went well, it looks really good.  

D

The small one of mine seems to work real well.  I kept it at 250 for 5 hours.  When the chips burned down I put a little more in.  I also liked hickory, but then I am the only one I have to please, usually.  My son and his young lady put bbq sauce on everything any way. I got my recipe from Masterbuilt home site: 

– 1/2 cup paprika

– 4 tablespoons garlic powder

– 4 tablespoons onion powder

– 2 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano

– 2 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt

– 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper

good luck on the next one.  I might try smoked pizza for the kids this weekend.

Thanks for the info.  My temp was good in the smoker.  I had it about 230 to 250 all the way thru.  Not sure why it took so long to cook though.  Everything I read said it should have taken about 5 to 6 hours tops.  Oh well, seems that everything I try and cook takes more time than it should.  LOL.  

Thanks for the rub recipe too.  I will give it a shot next time.  I told my wife if that cut goes on sale to pick it up and I will give it another shot.  The leftovers are for lunch in sandwich form, so we shall see.  

Have not done pizza, but sounds interesting.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky