Paprika bacon, How to make...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bb53chevpro

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 29, 2007
This is how I make paprika bacon.

1- Cure your pork belly as you any other time. I use 100 grams of sea salt and 50 grams of sugar for every 1 kilogram of belly. Press this cure into belly making sure that all is covered well. Place into a ziploc bag, add any left over cure mix that didn't stick to the belly into bag. Remove all air, and zip closed. Place into fridge for 5 days, turning once a day.

2- the 5th day, remove from from bag and rinse any visible cure off of the bacon. DO NOT SOAK to reduce saltiness.

3-smoke for a longer time (normally 140 to 150 internal is good, but want more smoke without any more heat), cold smoke is better if you can. You want to almost over smoke the bacon at this time. Let cool and dry. Best if it gets chilled in fridge for a night.

4-place bacon into hot water and boil until fork goes into the meat nice any easy. With the boiling, you will loose all that extra saltiness and some of the smoke flavour.

5- When cooked (tender), remove from boiling water with care, place onto a clean dish towel, and quickly dry off the water. When dry and still HOT, place onto a sheet of waxed paper and spread Hungarian Paprika over the entire piece of bacon. (This must be done while the bacon is still hot). Fold the wax paper over the bacon and press paprika into bacon. Make sure that there is just enough paprike to cover the bacon. Too much paprika will be too strong. Wrap the entire piece of paprika bacon in waxed paper and let cool until cold enough to put into the fridge. Let chill in the fridge over night.

6-Remove from fridge, slice into 1/4 inch wide strips, place onto a slice of bread and enjoy.

I hope that this answers all the questions from some of my previous posts. If not, please ask and I will do my best to get then answered for you.

WOW, that looks good. I have heard rumer of some folks doing there ribs in a simaler way, sept they invert the boiling and smokeing.

GREAT JOB, i will be try'n it
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Andy thanks for sharing the method it looks great!!

Wow this is exactly the recipe I have been looking for. Out East in Allentown all of the old butchers have died and there kids don't make it and most of them have ven lostt the recipe.

Points to you for helping me out. I need to figure out how to get some garlic in there, I remember when we ate it it had a big garlic hit along with the spice.

Now I have to make cabbage stuffed pixkled yellow peppers too.

Thanks,
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Michael

Andy, that looks wonderful!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Do you have a favorite wood for the smoke? I gotta give this a try. :)

Thanks everyone...
Chef- to add garlic flavour into it, before you put the bacon into the water, place the garlic into the water and boil it first, when garlic is cooked, add in the bacon. If you are looking for hungarian style cabbage roll recipe, I have a great one. We just made 92 rolls. Give me some time and I will post it if you are interested.

Cowgirl, I only use hickory or ash for bacon. That is my pref.

Panther, no additional cooking is needed since it is cured, smoked, and boiled.

Thanks Andy, sounds good.
Also, I'd be interested in that cabbage roll recipe if you get the time. Please.
wink.gif

we always ate it cold so the fat was like creamy butter, on swirly rye bread. the grammy made pickled banana peppers stuffed with shredded cabbage.

hungarian picnic.

you could also get the garlick in there by mixing garlic powder with the original cure, or with the paprika.

Never even heard of this stuff before. Pork belly is cheap. But is it worth all the processing ?

a person of Hungarian Descent...........paprika bacon was first made there......hungry is KNOW for its paprika.....the best comes from there.........or is that another thing you can't get in england..........LLOLOLOL
eek.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky