Pans in smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
i do it all the time with a half sheet baking pan and rack. i wrap the top of the pan in foil, and makes for super easy cleanup in and out of the smoker. i have almost zero food residue in the smoker after a cook.

It's not going to hurt anything, except your wife may not like the residual smoke on the pan. For our marriages sake I use disposable pans.

Chris

Reactions: jcam222
If you use pans rub a liquid dish soap on out side of pan, when comes time to cleanup the suet washes a whole lot easier. Good tip for any pan, pot a person will use over fires, natural, or propane or in a smoker. Careful bot to get in food area if you plan on eating, or saving of stuff inside of pot or pan.

Can I use a regular baking pan in my smoker?

I make ALL of my Prime Ribs, among other things in a Pan, but like "Chris" I use disposable Foil pans. That's one of the reasons I've been married over 50 years.

Bear

I am also in the happy wife happy life disposable pan group :) I buy them in bulk at Sams Club. I always have a stock of full, half and third pans.

Reactions: Workaholic
Never decide to make smoked mac-n-cheese in your....errrr....your wife's crockpot stoneware or oven glassware
She'll be unhappy about it.

Buy stuff and make it dedicated smoker utensils/pans and whatnot, and try to get a drawer/cabinet space dedicated to your smoker stuff.

I use my fair share of disposables too.

Costco had half sheet baking pans for $5 so it seemed like a good investment versus disposable. The underside of my pans are almost black now, while the topside is still shiney silver. At $5 a piece, I bought enough that the wife and i have our own dedicated pans.

Reactions: jcam222
I usually use the throw away aluminum pans but didn't have any. Family wanted smoked mac n cheese for dinner, so I used an old pan that we never really use anymore. Turned out great.

Costco had half sheet baking pans for $5 so it seemed like a good investment versus disposable. The underside of my pans are almost black now, while the topside is still shiney silver. At $5 a piece, I bought enough that the wife and i have our own dedicated pans.

Good move there. I'm currently single but also have a few pans dedicated for smoking. Works out well that way. I still from time to time use disposables depending on what I am making and what size I need. But hey I had some leftover before I bought my dedicated pans.

I like disposable pans most of the time. The dollar store has a variety of sizes. For some things I prefer a more sturdy pan, and have accumulated some that are dedicated to smoking, camping, grilling, etc.
I have a large Action Packer with a lid that locks down firmly. I keep my smoking accessories, tongs, pans, rib racks, and assorted bits and pieces in it .Stored under a prep table on the deck where the smoker is, I keep it segregated from our regular kitchen stuff. The first time you grab a pan to use in the smoker, and your wife discovers you are using her grandmother's favorite heirloom special family treasure, you will appreciate having your own.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky