1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pans in smokers

Discussion in 'Slicers, Grinders, Tools, Equipment' started by Stemy, Jun 11, 2019 at 4:10 PM.

1. Stemy

Stemy Newbie

Can I use a regular baking pan in my smoker?

2. solman

solman Meat Mopper

i do it all the time with a half sheet baking pan and rack. i wrap the top of the pan in foil, and makes for super easy cleanup in and out of the smoker. i have almost zero food residue in the smoker after a cook.

3. Not a problem but as solman said I would also say to foil them as well. I even use deeper baking pans for drip pans that way.

4. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

It's not going to hurt anything, except your wife may not like the residual smoke on the pan. For our marriages sake I use disposable pans.

Chris

jcam222 likes this.
  5. If you use pans rub a liquid dish soap on out side of pan, when comes time to cleanup the suet washes a whole lot easier. Good tip for any pan, pot a person will use over fires, natural, or propane or in a smoker. Careful bot to get in food area if you plan on eating, or saving of stuff inside of pot or pan.

6. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

I make ALL of my Prime Ribs, among other things in a Pan, but like "Chris" I use disposable Foil pans. That's one of the reasons I've been married over 50 years.

Bear

7. jcam222

jcam222 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I am also in the happy wife happy life disposable pan group :) I buy them in bulk at Sams Club. I always have a stock of full, half and third pans.

8. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Never decide to make smoked mac-n-cheese in your....errrr....your wife's crockpot stoneware or oven glassware
    She'll be unhappy about it.

Buy stuff and make it dedicated smoker utensils/pans and whatnot, and try to get a drawer/cabinet space dedicated to your smoker stuff.

I use my fair share of disposables too.

9. solman

solman Meat Mopper

Costco had half sheet baking pans for $5 so it seemed like a good investment versus disposable. The underside of my pans are almost black now, while the topside is still shiney silver. At $5 a piece, I bought enough that the wife and i have our own dedicated pans.

jcam222 likes this.
  10. Stemy

Stemy Newbie

I usually use the throw away aluminum pans but didn't have any. Family wanted smoked mac n cheese for dinner, so I used an old pan that we never really use anymore. Turned out great.

11. Good move there. I'm currently single but also have a few pans dedicated for smoking. Works out well that way. I still from time to time use disposables depending on what I am making and what size I need. But hey I had some leftover before I bought my dedicated pans.