Pancetta

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

theyankeesmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 27, 2017
Fairfield, CT
So I took on a task of making pancetta. After hours of reading into different techniques, I challenged myself. I form a standard cure with cure #2, just in case I was willing to risk botulism. I got a 5lb pork belly, vacuum sealed with the cure flipping everyday. After 7 days, I wrapped the baby in cheese cloth.

For hang drying i was told to dry someplace where the temperature is cool and humidity is about 60%. My kitchen is too small, and my basement, well I feared bugs getting to it. So I transformed my wine cooler to a curing station. Temperature and humidity maintained at about 55 degrees and 55%. Cured for two weeks. Here are pictures of the process.

Attachments

• 20171018_184226.jpg
    20171018_184226.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 20171029_094911.jpg
    20171029_094911.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 20171108_194137.jpg
    20171108_194137.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20171108_194356.jpg
    20171108_194356.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 20171115_063701.jpg
    20171115_063701.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: smokin vegas
Atomic,

Yes cure #1 would have been ok.

I wanted the option of enjoying it as is, but after starting the process i got scared. Would hate to get sick in time for thanksgiving :). Call me a scaredy cat if you want, just playing safe.

I understand the cold feet but you seem to have followed a safe process. Maybe the humidity is a bit low...but so was mine....and pancetta came out great. When is rolled dry rim is not a big concern.

Problem with pancetta is that it sounds cool and everyone wants to make it. It's an easy starter project. But then you end up with a big chunk of rolled dried belly and realize you are not crazy about the mouthfeel of a thick layer of uncooked fat. So many people end up cooking it.

So I took on a task of making pancetta. After hours of reading into different techniques, I challenged myself. I form a standard cure with cure #2, just in case I was willing to risk botulism. I got a 5lb pork belly, vacuum sealed with the cure flipping everyday. After 7 days, I wrapped the baby in cheese cloth.

For hang drying i was told to dry someplace where the temperature is cool and humidity is about 60%. My kitchen is too small, and my basement, well I feared bugs getting to it. So I transformed my wine cooler to a curing station. Temperature and humidity maintained at about 55 degrees and 55%. Cured for two weeks. Here are pictures of the process.
That is a great idea! I would buy a wine cooler just for curing meat.

I understand the cold feet but you seem to have followed a safe process. Maybe the humidity is a bit low...but so was mine....and pancetta came out great. When is rolled dry rim is not a big concern.

Problem with pancetta is that it sounds cool and everyone wants to make it. It's an easy starter project. But then you end up with a big chunk of rolled dried belly and realize you are not crazy about the mouthfeel of a thick layer of uncooked fat. So many people end up cooking it.

Well the Good thing is I'm hosting about a dozen people next week and they each will get a piece of this, so I'm not stuck with this big hunk of meat.

I will attempt prosciutto next.

Well the Good thing is I'm hosting about a dozen people next week and they each will get a piece of this, so I'm not stuck with this big hunk of meat.

I will attempt prosciutto next.
If you only dried it for 2 weeks i don't think is ready to be consumed uncooked.

Last edited:
My last one “dried” for almost 2 months (UMAi bag). It never got past 11% weight loss. Tasty but chewy. I think it’s meant to be cooked.
Fried or baked, like on pizza, it’s awesome...

Well, I already cut into the pancetta. Been a steady flow of that slaty goodness in my belly for the past week. I sliced some decent slices and sprinkled brown sugar on it, and it was phenomenal. Wifey has been using it in steamed mussels and pasta. Like you said atomic smoke, easy but a huge piece of meat. Gave away a few good chunks to our neighbors and still left with a lot.

My last one “dried” for almost 2 months (UMAi bag). It never got past 11% weight loss. Tasty but chewy. I think it’s meant to be cooked.
Fried or baked, like on pizza, it’s awesome...

I've heard about this UMAi bag. I just went simple, and came out great. I have heard of people eating it raw. Perhaps I'll take that adventure after holidays.

I'll bet that would be righteous cut like in the pic,low smoked for a few hours then crank up the heat to render the fat.kinda like bacon burnt ends.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky