Pan Seared Prime NY with Balsamic/Red Wine Reduction

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
The Prime NY.....Costco has been on fire with their cuts!
47067675-00BB-43A2-B805-02E71ABA6724.jpeg

All seasoned up with Kinders Buttery Steak.....
46CF69E9-9F4F-4A23-A3EA-CB59992C82C0.jpeg

I went out to check on the NY on the grill but a huge crazy wind popped up so that was a NO GO.....so plan “b ” lighting round......into a searing hot pan and into the oven at 375 convention roast on a rack.....things happened fast so no pics but it all calmed down for the plate....
DAECB13C-7E32-4CB7-8765-73276E9A9C8C.jpeg

plated with some pan sear veg and shrooms......holy smokes had 5 burners all going on high to salvage the wind blow out!!!!
3210BDEF-A9B8-49C0-94E7-C0872A07A6A8.jpeg

you would think the cook was planed that way.....

the NY Prime $$$.....
EBEC0E7B-C308-41B7-AC53-5617BDB98EA3.jpeg

I forget how good a pan seared NY can be!!!

Home run!! That is a beautiful plate up picture.

I see that you used the choice china throughout.

LIKE!
Thanks one eye!

Well plan B looks great and cooked to perfection !

Keith

many thanks Keith! Sear and finish in the oven is about the best way there is to get the cook just right.....it just takes a lot of effort....so usually just full grill

The reduction:

1c red wine
1/2 balsamic
1 diced shallot
Rosemary sprig
4-5 thyme sprigs
1 sage leave
10-15 peppercorns

all in a pan and reduce by 2/3rds, screened, season with sugar, S&P......if thicker is desired it can be thickened with a pinch of starch slurry....

Prep time 30 to 45 min
494D1A41-A85E-42B6-A231-CF624BF74F25.jpeg

Looks awesome great plan B

Looks awesome great plan B
Thanks piney!! It just so happens I grabbed a new Costco non-stick anodized AL pan I got last week ( 3 sizes for 29 bills) rather than the CI cause I was on the clock with the veg and holy smokes.....it seared better than the CI!

You nailed that one, looks beautiful! And glad we're not the only one with winds lol!

Ryan

The reduction:

1c red wine
1/2 balsamic
1 diced shallot
Rosemary sprig
4-5 thyme sprigs
1 sage leave
10-15 peppercorns

all in a pan and reduce by 2/3rds, screened, season with sugar, S&P......if thicker is desired it can be thickened with a pinch of starch slurry....

Prep time 30 to 45 min
View attachment 528653

Definitely gonna try this, thanks for the recipe civil!

Perfect cook on those . Yup . Pan sear then in the oven is a great way to do 'em . I set out some ribeyes for today , but crazy winds here all night . We'll see if they die down .

Plan A B or C it came together perfectly. That looks like a high dollar meal in a fine restaurant.

Jim

That is absolutely beautiful!! Way to improvise, adapt, and overcome. We had some insane winds a couple days ago and I had to do the same improvisation. Wanted to grill some center cut pork loin chops but there was no way in 40-50 mph winds so I pan seared them like you did. They were great as was your steak. Very well done!!

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky