PA Q Crew gets BIG enough for our own group!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've lived in Bucks for about 10 years. I do live in the Pennridge school district, but I was born and raised in Philly and went to school down there. If I recall correctly from previous posts, you're from the Quakertown area, right?

I've lived in Bucks for about 10 years. I do live in the Pennridge school district, but I was born and raised in Philly and went to school down there. If I recall correctly from previous posts, you're from the Quakertown area, right?
Yup----Graduated in '66 from Quakertown High. Bux-Mont Football Champs in '66.

Mrs Bear Grad from Pennridge in '65. Bux-Mont Football Champs in '65.

That doesn't sound like a big deal if you don't know how much stronger that rivalry was before the Bux-Mont League broke up & the teams joined the Suburban One League.

Quakertown has been playing Pennridge on Thanksgiving Morning for 84 years. I guess if you've been there for 10 years, you've heard a lot about that rivalry by now.

Bear

That must have been an interesting first date then! I have heard plenty about the rivalry, but haven't made it to a Thanksgiving game yet. We have gone to a couple Fri night games and they have a pretty decent team. I can't remember off hand what their record is. Our oldest is a freshman this year, so we may get over to see the game on Thanksgiving. It will bring back some good memories of Northeast and Central.

That must have been an interesting first date then! I have heard plenty about the rivalry, but haven't made it to a Thanksgiving game yet. We have gone to a couple Fri night games and they have a pretty decent team. I can't remember off hand what their record is. Our oldest is a freshman this year, so we may get over to see the game on Thanksgiving. It will bring back some good memories of Northeast and Central.
It's still a Great Rivalry, but not like it was in the Bux-Mont.

You can never go by the records when it came to thanksgiving.

The best one ever (from my point of view--LOL) was 1969.

I missed it, because I was in the Army at the time:

Hatboro was done earlier, and had a 7-1-1  Record.

Pennridge was favored to beat Quakertown, with a 7-1-0 Record.

Quakertown was underdogs with a 6-1-1 Record.

If Pennridge would win, like they were supposed to, they would win the Bux-Mont Championship ( 8-1 ).

Hatboro would finish in second place ( 7-1-1 ).

Quakertown would finish in third place ( 6-2-1 ).

However Quakertown beat Pennridge 66-28 (I believe it was 50-0 at half when the Quakertown coach cleared the bench).

So it ended up Quakertown tied for 1st with Hatboro  ( 7-1-1 ).

Pennridge next at 8-2.

Hatboro fans were there rooting for Quakertown too, and if you didn't get there by 5 AM, you didn't get a good seat for the 10:15 starting time, unless you had reserved seats. The gates opened at 8 AM. Many had sleeping bags, because they got in line the night before!!

Hope I didn't bore anybody,

Bear

PS:  Our Son went to Quakertown, so Mrs Bear had to become a Quakertown fan. LOL

Last edited:
That's more like a basketball score! I can kind of sympathize with Mrs. Bear. My wife graduated from Washington High. Which could be worse I guess. But it was against Washington that I ended my sporting career in a football injury. I always had a bit of, shall we say dislike for Washington.

Sup everybody. Pittsburgh checking in. Seems like I'm the only one from the other side of the state.
Pittsburgh here.  I know there are a few more from this area.  If we get enough people bbq around here it might look like the old steel mill days once again.

Reactions: the zil

Hi y'all
LOL----Alarm---Alarm!!!----Georgia Boy Among Us!!!!    "Y'All"????  You can't even talk Pennsylvanian any more!!!
biggrin.gif

Bear

Pittsburgh here.  I know there are a few more from this area.  If we get enough people bbq around here it might look like the old steel mill days once again.
Hey Tank!!!

Good to see ya, Buddy!!!

Bear

Reactions: the zil

Haha. I'm a little young to remember the good ol days of the mills (I'm 30) but the mills are deep in my family. 3 uncles who grew up in Braddock and worked at ET, dad worked at heckenstall until it closed and I even did a 6 month run working at Edgar Thomson in plant protection a few years ago

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky