Oxidation residue in meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jgreen

Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
Meat grinders and sausage suffers, if washed improperly can end up oxidizing the metal and leave this dust on the surface of the equipment you are using to grind meat or make sausages

My question is how dangerous is this residue when consumed in the small amounts that can end up in your meat if your equipment had some signs of oxidation. Would you be able to see the residue in the final product? Would there be a difference in fresh or dry cured sausage?

Like the white spots of oxidation?

I would think they would be crunchy perhaps?

Might not hurt you but i aint no doc

No its more like black dust/particles. Might not be describing it the proper way

Meat grinders and sausage suffers, if washed improperly can end up oxidizing the metal and leave this dust on the surface of the equipment you are using to grind meat or make sausages

My question is how dangerous is this residue when consumed in the small amounts that can end up in your meat if your equipment had some signs of oxidation. Would you be able to see the residue in the final product? Would there be a difference in fresh or dry cured sausage?
You are aware of this oxidation, so why didn’t you wash with warm soapy water to begin with?
As far as health concerns, we cook our food to final IT for a reason, that is food safety.

You are aware of this oxidation, so why didn’t you wash with warm soapy water to begin with?
As far as health concerns, we cook our food to final IT for a reason, that is food safety.
I did wash it with warm soapy water. Though by the end of my process I noticed a small amount of the residue on the ridges of the screw on back. I'm not very worried about my food, I was just curious to know if it posed any issues.

I've not seen what you describe. I purchased a set of various sized Bottle Brushes, and hand wash my grinder parts with them. I then dry, metal parts, first with a quick towel wipe and then a 15 minute rest in a 200°F oven before rubbing Mineral Oil on the Blade and Plates, and putting eveything away...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky