overmixing ??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

junkcollector

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
Cagayan de Oro Philipppines
I started a new post on this so I don't hijack jam's thread.

I'm just a ol ignorent hillbilly and need some extree edjumikashion sometimes. 

Overmixing sausage came up and I wanted to know about it. Been doing sausage for years and have no idea if i've ever experienced it or not cause I have no idea how to ID it. Have had some issues over the years, some explainable, some not. 

Can somebody explain the characteristics and results of over mixing sausage? 

Thanks

louie

From what I have read and experienced is over mixing causes heat and breaks down the fat and fibers in the meat and will attribute to a grainy sausage. Most over mixing happens when a mixer is used. An example of over mixed meat is smear like you would get from a grinder with a dull blade.... The fibers in the meat are pulverized.. This is my take......

Here is an example of smear and it can happen from over mixing

Last edited:
Thank you kind sir. I will now have to give chicken breast another chance for sausage. One time i did use it, it was like eating sawdust. That batch I did use the KA to mix it up.

Thanks again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky