Over smoked whole chickens

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

woodcutter

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 2, 2012
Marathon Wisconsin

I'm looking for advice on smoking whole chickens. After reading some of the poultry threads I decided to give it a try. I brined the chickens in the refridgerator for 16 hours, rinsed and put a light rub on them. I preheated my smoker to 275 and gave them smoke for almost 3 hours until the breast was 167. I put them in a 425 degree often for 10 minutes to crisp the skin (which worked well). They turned out far too smokey. Should I have removed the smoke at some point or foiled them?

well from your picture, it looks like your have too much smoke going in there, what you want is a thin blue smoke, not the white smoke, white will impart a bad taste to your food. make sure that the wood is not wet and let it catch before putting your food on the pit. Maybe you did all this, but from the picture, there is way too much white smoke in there, it should be only a small amount of blue smoke.

ah ok that is a good idea! Im not the best smoker by far, but I do know that less smoke is better usually, maybe you just had some smokey wood in there :)

Too much Smoke and what wood did you use? Some are much Stronger than others...JJ

Oak is usually pretty mild. When using chunks I would place 1-2 in the smoke pan of my Meco...JJ

When opening the Smoker , it should have enough smoke to waft out lightly .
439.gif

Have fun and...

I took my waft down the wiver to shoot that wascally wabbit!!

Pic courtesy of photobucket...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky