over mixed sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lcarlson

Original poster
Aug 8, 2016
hi there, recently we made some breakfast sausage and the flavour was nice but we followed a suggestion online about mixing that said to use the kitchen aid. our sausage wound up being dry and almost pasty like. since i hate wasting food and the flavour was nice i'm wondering if anyone has any recipes for salvaging over mixed sausage ?

Was it pork? Usually the culprit when pork sausage is dry is one of three things. Either too little fat, too little salt, or UNDER mixing. I use the Kitchenaid paddle and mix sausage until it's sticky and pasty. It took me a while to get the hang of it though. My first few batches were also dry and crumbly. I started adding nonfat dry milk powder which solved the problem, but I wanted to be able to do it the right way without additional binders. I finally figured out my problem was too little salt and under mixing. I still use the nfdm though. I feel like it gives it a little extra richness and moisture. Probably all in my head, but then again it's my head and my sausage, so it works for me.
As to what to do with the dry sausage, there is a recipe we make a couple times a month here that might work.
It doesn't really have a name, we just call it "that sausage pasta stuff". I first saw it on Food Wishes.

1 lb sausage.
1/2 lb pasta. We usually use shells. Recipe calls for orchiette, or however you spell it.
1 quart LOW SODIUM ( very important) chicken stock.
2 cups chopped arugula.

Start by browning the sausage in a large frypan. Drian off any grease. Then dump in the uncooked pasta and enough chicken stock to just cover it. Set heat on medium high and bring to a boil, then drop heat to medium low to maintain a vigorous simmer. Not quite a rolling boil, but more than a gentle simmer. Make sense? Stir occasionally until the stock has evaporated/been absorbed. Add more stock to cover pasta. Bump heat up to bring back to a simmer, then lower again to maintain. Repeat process until pasta is tender and all stock has been added. You're reducing the stock quite a bit, and there is salt in the sausage, so if you use regular stock or broth it'll be way too salty.
Once all th stock is in and th pasta is tender, kill the heat and add the arugula. It will look like way too much, but it'll wilt almost instantly and all will fit. Your sauce should be thick and creamy like risotto, and the pasta should have a velvety al dente texture.
Arugula is a peppery green and a has a really strong taste. Some people hate it. If you don't like it, baby spinach works well too.

I use my KA most of the time for mixing, dont use the paddle because it will ball up on the paddle, use the dough hook. I would not think its over mixed. What did you you for seasoning? To much salt will pull moisture from the meat.

Biscuits & Gravy

Sausage Chili - Like Bob Evans in the winter

Crumbled on Pizza-Mix in with the cheese

Breakfast Burritos

I use my KA most of the time for mixing, dont use the paddle because it will ball up on the paddle, use the dough hook. I would not think its over mixed. What did you you for seasoning? To much salt will pull moisture from the meat.
I just mixed my GB jerky with the paddle... it balled up bad....  Good to know....

I don't think I ever heard of overmixing making sausage Dry. What is mixed more than Hot dogs and Bologna and that stuff is never dry. I agree with the guys, Under Mixed, Low Salt and especially Low Fat, are the biggest cause of Dry Sausage. Use it as an ingredient, sliced, diced or crumbled and you will not notice the texture in the dish...JJ

I make quite a bit of Breakfast sausage, I do make mine leaner than store bought but I have never had dry.

I'm thinking you need more fat.

When I cook store bought there is a LOT of fat that cooks out and water.  If you haven't already done something with it

Go to your local grocery store and ask the butcher for a couple of pounds of Pork Fat Wasn't sure how much sausage you have ?

I would run the fat through the grinder Mix with the sausage and run it all through one more time,

If you have 5 lbs of sausage I would go a pound to a pound and a half of fat.

Gary

Lean Sausage is like Turkey Bacon, Fat Free Mayo or Fat Free Cheese...It only barely resembles the Real Thing, is not NEARLY as satisfying or tasty and if you only enjoy the Full Fat good stuff once in awhile, it will have a net zero effect on your Waistline or Heart! I'm not a Dr. but I did stay at a Hoilday Inn Express last night!...
nana2.gif
...JJ

Last edited:

Lean Sausage is like Turkey Bacon, Fat Free Mayo or Fat Free Cheese...It only barely resembles the Real Thing, is not NEARLY as satisfying or tasty and if you only enjoy the Full Fat good stuff once in awhile, it will have a net zero effect on your Waistline or Heart! I'm not a Dr. but I did stay at a Hoilday Inn Express last night!...
nana2.gif
...JJ
Hey I said Leaner not Lean  don't like turkey bacon either

biggrin.gif

Gary

I was in a BBQ joint in Arlington TX. All you could eat Pork Ribs and Brisket. The woman ahead of me in line asked if she could get Lean Trimmed Brisket...The older man slicing the meat smiled and said, " Surely Mam, I am out of the Good Stuff anyway..." 
ROTF.gif
...JJ

Except for the "slimy" stuff, I don't trim any of the fat out of the butt for sausage. Love it!
And my mixer automatically shuts off when my hands get tired...

:bluesbros:

I was in a BBQ joint in Arlington TX. All you could eat Pork Ribs and Brisket. The woman ahead of me in line asked if she could get Lean Trimmed Brisket...The older man slicing the meat smiled and said, " Surely Mam, I am out of the Good Stuff anyway..." 
ROTF.gif
...JJ
That's Funny   A lot of BBQ places ask if you want lean, When they ask me I say " Look at me what do you think"

Gary

I can see where over mixing could provide a bad texture, but I doubt that is a cause for dryness.

I make small batches and hand mix until my hands get tired and frozen.  Then I go back and do it again after a cold brew.  I tried the KA once and didn't feel it gave me the control I wanted.

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky