OTBS?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I enjoy all of the fun banter that you guys have had on this one back and forth. Its nice to see people be able to joke around like this.

That being said I feel it needs to be said that OTBS is something that has changed and evolved but in the end a peer recommends you. Then the mod staff reviews each one and sends it to Pineywoods and Dutch to bless.

Please know that just because you help alot doesn't mean your in. Just because you have been around for a long time does not mean your in. Its multiple things. If you have been here for 5 years. Help out here and there but have posted only 3 of your cooks and of those you didn't detail much then your probably not going to get in.

But if you have been here 4 months. Help out alot. Post detailed threads and go above and beyond. Are not a smart ass to people then you will probably get in if your nominated.

I know we have a long list of those that are being looked at so if you have other suggestions let us know.

Central PA Cowboy Central PA Cowboy dont hold your breath! Just keep in mind you make good Q and satisfy yourself... no banner here can beat that even if its gotten harder over the years... Most of the members that have it dont post many cooks anyway...
20210110_143233.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Good point, Z zippy12

The food pics you post in chat blow these threads out of the water. It’s just that you don’t need to toot your own horn I guess.

It's not about tooting your own horn, and if you can't see that you likely aren't currently deserving of the OTBS banner yet. The point of making the threads and posting your cooks and the details isn't about gaining recognition. This site is first and foremost about sharing information to assist others in the practice and perfection(I don't believe in absolute perfection) of this craft that some of us spend nights laying awake thinking about. Trial and error creates masters, and by sharing your cooks you aren't tooting your own horn, you are passing on your knowledge and experience. Be it a good result or bad from a cook/recipe you help others by posting your experience. That is the defining key of the OTBS.

Well put Kyle...JJ

It's not about tooting your own horn, and if you can't see that you likely aren't currently deserving of the OTBS banner yet. The point of making the threads and posting your cooks and the details isn't about gaining recognition. This site is first and foremost about sharing information to assist others in the practice and perfection(I don't believe in absolute perfection) of this craft that some of us spend nights laying awake thinking about. Trial and error creates masters, and by sharing your cooks you aren't tooting your own horn, you are passing on your knowledge and experience. Be it a good result or bad from a cook/recipe you help others by posting your experience. That is the defining key of the OTBS.
Exactly. Never really have thought about OTBS. Sure, anyone likes being appreciated or recognized for contributions ... but if that’s the goal, likely to fall short or be disappointed. It is an ancillary result of accomplishing the real goal of education and assistance. Kinda like Rotary and service organizations ... you don’t join consciously or primarily to get/do business, but if your heart and efforts in the right place, the good karma comes back.

I never thought about the OTBS thing either. I just joined. And found out really quick how helpful this forum is. And things just fell in place. It is almost like a brotherhood, (females included) here. And the help and support is second to none.
Well said Steve.
When all is said and done I'm not here for accolades. I just want to learn.
My accolades come from a wife and kids that appreciate me taking what I've learned from the wealth of knowledge here and producing quality meals for them.

I totally agree with Kyle, and Steve, and the rest. I originally joined to learn how to improve my Smoking. SMF has exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds beyond anything I hoped. Everyone is very generous with their knowledge and advice. Now I cannot wait to finish work, so I can check in on what's happening here, and catch up with all of my friends. I've gotten so much from you all in just under 3 years! The quality of my cooks has gone up to a level I never would have imagined. I give as much advice as I feel qualified to give. When I post things it is thrilling to read the feedback. The best thing about SMF is there's no BS, like on so many other sites. I've completely stopped using FB, etc because all it is are people I've known for years sniping at each other, and saying and threatening the worst things you can imagine. I couldn't read it anymore, so I removed it from my daily life.
I'm very appreciative of SMF and all of the fine people associated with it.

I’ve been waiting over 3 years to be in this. Anyone know how to get in this super secret club? Do I have to bake a couple apple pies and post them or what? Is there a secret handshake? What about a secret password? Am I missing something?
One day I’ll get into OTBS.

Until then, I’ll toot my own horn and flip pancakes.

Being a new guy here, I have a couple of questions. Why do you want it so desperately? Is there some monetary value in it for you? Or is it just a pump-out-your-chest thing? Or ego? It seems to me, after reading all of the replies here, that if/when you deserve it, it will find you. You don't have to go on an expedition seeking it.

Just really curious and puzzled about it all.

And yes, I like pancakes.

Being a new guy here, I have a couple of questions. Why do you want it so desperately? Is there some monetary value in it for you? Or is it just a pump-out-your-chest thing? Or ego? It seems to me, after reading all of the replies here, that if/when you deserve it, it will find you. You don't have to go on an expedition seeking it.

Honest enough questions. IMHO, if you are actively posting to get the title. Then you're doing it for the wrong reason. I am honored to be thought of enough by my peers to be presented this OTBS title. But it does come with responsibility to continue to help the community in whatever ways you can to pass on what you've learned. Monetary? Nope!
And your final statement nailed it. It will find you. Oh, I'd be lying a tad if I said it didn't bump my ego a little!

Honest enough questions. IMHO, if you are actively posting to get the title. Then you're doing it for the wrong reason. I am honored to be thought of enough by my peers to be presented this OTBS title. But it does come with responsibility to continue to help the community in whatever ways you can to pass on what you've learned. Monetary? Nope!
And your final statement nailed it. It will find you. Oh, I'd be lying a tad if I said it didn't bump my ego a little!
So you're saying OTBS doesn't stand for ... Oh To Be Steve! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Darn good questions and I'm glad you asked them as it made me, perhaps for the first time, try to put my feelings about the OTBS into words.

I think that, more than anything else, it's a mark of having established sustained credibility and competence. Post count does not matter. How often you visit the site doesn't matter. The weight and informative content of your posts matter.

I think some of the things that do matter are to be forever conscious that we were all new once and that this is a hobby (obsession?) filled with a potentially intimidating amount of jargon, nuance, personalities, ifs, ands or buts etc and that we need to serve and help folks both where they are and where they want to be.

Sometimes that requires hand holding someone for some period of time to help them through a new process or skill. Other times it means knowing when to just point them in the right direction and get out of the way. Lastly it means to stay in our lane as far as not straying into iffy areas of food safety or other hazardous places, avoiding hearsay versus what we know for sure etc and occasionally to just knowing when to bow out of the conversation.

Now I hope you'all will excuse me while I put my soap box away....

Best regards to all and wishing you all steady thin blue smoke.......

Darn good questions and I'm glad you asked them as it made me, perhaps for the first time, try to put my feelings about the OTBS into words.

I think that, more than anything else, it's a mark of having established sustained credibility and competence. Post count does not matter. How often you visit the site doesn't matter. The weight and informative content of your posts matter.

I think some of the things that do matter are to be forever conscious that we were all new once and that this is a hobby (obsession?) filled with a potentially intimidating amount of jargon, nuance, personalities, ifs, ands or buts etc and that we need to serve and help folks both where they are and where they want to be.

Sometimes that requires hand holding someone for some period of time to help them through a new process or skill. Other times it means knowing when to just point them in the right direction and get out of the way. Lastly it means to stay in our lane as far as not straying into iffy areas of food safety or other hazardous places, avoiding hearsay versus what we know for sure etc and occasionally to just knowing when to bow out of the conversation.

Now I hope you'all will excuse me while I put my soap box away....

Best regards to all and wishing you all steady thin blue smoke.......
Well said!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky