Osso Bucco on the stick burner & new grate tryout

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmh313

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Portsmouth Rhode Island
I'm on a mission this summer/fall to run my smoker every weekend. Why? Because I can.

Anyways, Saturday morning I finally got around to building an upper rack (only took 2 years to build something that took me less than an hour) and wanted to season and test it out.

Knowing that my smoker runs somewhat top hot, I wanted to monitor the upper rack while it was empty to see just how much hotter. Results aren't worth adjusting cook temps. I placed 6 probes throughout the grates and checked every half hour throughout my 4 hour cook. With the exception of the probe closest to my exhaust (reverse flow), every probe read within 10 degrees. Surprisingly the probe closest to the exhaust ran 25-40 degrees warmer depending on how recently I stoked the fire. Not a huge deal, but makes me aware that items placed here will cook faster.

So, since it's a sin to run a smoker without food in it, my local market had a great deal on beef shanks. Not being one to pass up a smoke'ortunity, I thought why not?!

Salt & Pepper, 2 hours at 285 on the grate. Made up a simple mirepoix with carrots, celery and shallots, sauteed until slightly softened, then deglazed with red wine. Placed the shanks into the mix, foil, and returned to the smoker for another 3 hours at 285.

The results speak for themselves. I plated this on top of some horseradish cheesy polenta. Man oh man.

IMG_4281.JPG
IMG_4284.PNG
IMG_4291.JPG
IMG_4293.JPG
IMG_4294.JPG
IMG_4295.JPG
IMG_4296.JPG
IMG_4297.JPG

Mmmm, Mmmm!
Heck yeah, that looks like a fine meal.

I did a smoked venison shanks Osso Bucco
earlier this year, it turned out pretty good.
Initially I thought the smoke and wine conflicted a bit in the dish, but after a day to mellow it was fantastic.

I honestly feel Osso Buco might be the best 'complete' style meal you can do on a smoker.

Agree with ya Chile; it's amazing how the flavours meld. I just did it finally the other week with the problem of my pitboss junk pellets deciding 'Lets all light at once' after not lighting and even though the shanks looked like hockey pucks it still came out ok!

Mmmm, Mmmm!
Heck yeah, that looks like a fine meal.

I did a smoked venison shanks Osso Bucco
earlier this year, it turned out pretty good.
Initially I thought the smoke and wine conflicted a bit in the dish, but after a day to mellow it was fantastic.

you know my first sample of the broth I thought the same thing, but it mellowed out. Just finished up some leftovers for lunch and it only got better! Using a more robust red wine might be problematic though.

you know my first sample of the broth I thought the same thing, but it mellowed out. Just finished up some leftovers for lunch and it only got better! Using a more robust red wine might be problematic though.
Yep, leftovers rocked.
I said I'd not smoke the meat again, next will be without smoking, but I'll probably smke again.
Then I used a full bodied Cabernet instead of the recipe's White.
Going straight from Dutch oven to plate the flavors were very intense, but lunch the next day it was superb.

Yep, leftovers rocked.
I said I'd not smoke the meat again, next will be without smoking, but I'll probably smke again.
Then I used a full bodied Cabernet instead of the recipe's White.
Going straight from Dutch oven to plate the flavors were very intense, but lunch the next day it was superb.
Your recipe called for white? Hrm. I think white makes sense for venison, but not beef.

White

White was for Veal shanks.
I used Red because I was doing venison.
I figured it completely opposite.
I would go for the lighter flavour of white for venison to bring out more of the innate 'gamey'ness as it were.

Guess if I ever get some venison shanks I'll have to try it both ways!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky