Oriental Glazed Country Style Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
In North America we love our sticky spicy pork. It usually involves a tomato based barbecue sauce. However, in the Orient they have been making delicious pork dishes with shiny sweet glazes and great complex flavours. This is my recipe to bring several of their styles together.

This is not an original recipe from any country. I have incorporated flavours from Korean, Chinese and Thai cooking.

I started by making a marinade. I mixed:
  • 40 ml (3 tablespoons) soy sauce
  • 25 ml (2 tablespoons) chopped green onions
  • 15 ml (1 tablespoon) sherry (I used cooking sherry)
  • 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) sesame oil
  • 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) hot pepper flakes
I put 5 country style ribs in the marinade and refrigerated for 4 to 24 hours. Turn the pork often.

Oriental Glazed Country Style Ribs 1.jpg

I made up the glaze by mixing:
  • 25 ml (2 tablespoons) ketchup
  • 20 ml (4 teaspoons) hoisin sauce
  • 15 ml (1 tablespoon) honey
  • 12 ml (2 1/2 teaspoons) soy sauce
  • 10 ml (2 teaspoons) rice vinegar
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoon) lime juice (bottled is fine)
  • 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) ground ginger
  • 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) sesame oil
  • 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) Sriracha or hot pepper sauce
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
Make the glaze several hours before using to let the flavours mix.

Oriental Glazed Country Style Ribs 5.jpg

After the meat had marinated. I preheated my smoker to 250 F. Took the ribs out and discarded the marinade. I put the ribs on to smoke to an internal temperature of 150 F. That took about an hour and 15 minutes.

I brushed the ribs with the glaze and cooked for 15 minutes. I brushed again and cooked for another 15 minutes. I gave them a final brush and cooked for 10 minutes.

Oriental Glazed Country Style Ribs 2.jpg

You may think the ribs would over cook with the extra cooking time but the internal temperature of the ribs go down when you brush with the glaze.

Let the ribs rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Oriental Glazed Country Style Ribs 3.jpg

Oriental Glazed Country Style Ribs 4.jpg

The Verdict

This was delicious. It has the sweetness we like with our pork but the sweetness is more complex and is balanced with a nice sour undernote. There is a touch of heat but not enough to burn at all. I really like these.

Disco

Last edited:
Looks great Disco . I'll have to try this one . I did the wings with the sweet chile sauce . Man they were good .

Reactions: disco
You done did good, Nice cook - excellent results.

Point for sure
Chris

I went to my local Asian market today and spent 10-15 minutes looking over various sauces for pork, tough decisions.

And to think all I really needed to do was wait for you to post today.
Looks great my man, looks great.
Like!

Oh... The market?
Never did buy a sauce for pork today, but still walked out seventy bucks poorer.
Soy, Mirin, Rice vinegar, Curry, Togarashi seasonings, Bulldog Katsu sauce, Poki sticks and more.
And Saturday's are their fresh food day, every Saturday there is a fresh roasted whole hog with the skin all crackling and loads more ready to eat treats.
I bought several pounds of freshly chopped pork and crackling for lunch, pork spring rolls, Thai banana fritters and Sesame balls with some sort of fruit custard in them

Last edited:
I went to my local Asian market today and spent 10-15 minutes looking over various sauces for pork, tough decisions.

And to think all I really needed to do was wait for you to post today.
Looks great my man, looks great.
Like!

Oh... The market?
Never did buy a sauce for pork today, but still walked out seventy bucks poorer.
Soy, Mirin, Rice vinegar, Curry, Togarashi seasonings, Bulldog Katsu sauce, Poki sticks and more.
And Saturday's are their fresh food day, every Saturday there is a fresh roasted whole hog with the skin all crackling and loads more ready to eat treats.
I bought several pounds of freshly chopped pork and crackling for lunch, pork spring rolls, Thai banana fritters and Sesame balls with dome fruit in them
Sounds like I need to go to that market! Thanks for the like.

That looks good disco!

Thanks so much!

Disco,
It looks great! I will file this one and give it a try soon!

- Jason

I hope you like it! Thanks.

When I travel through China the bbq pork is always a must. I prefer belly over other cuts but suckling piglet with the sweet sauce is a close second.

I am jealous. I would love to travel China. As for belly, I prefer it too but it is hard to find here and costs a lot!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky