Opinions wanted on new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a Fireboard, which has 6 ports. I usually use 2 (one that reads and controls the pit temp, and one port for the meat)... which would be the same as the Pitts. My Limo Jr has even more space than a Pitts and a Spitts 1250, and even when it is packed, at most I have had 3 food ports in there), and usually just do the one, as I don’t like wire running all over the place. You could always add third party thermometer (Inkbird commonly has a decent 4 port model that goes on sale for $50) if you find the need for more food monitoring.

Anyone have any info on Pitts and Spitts WiFi? I just cant understand why on the 1250 which is on my Short list only has 1 probe for such a large grill
I think you will find most people for use the probe that’s is part of the smoker. Most everyone use ThermoWorks or another brand of temp probes. To be honest I only use a ThermoWorks thermopen now on poultry. With pork and beef it’s just color and tenderness with probe

I think you will find most people for use the probe that’s is part of the smoker. Most everyone use ThermoWorks or another brand of temp probes. To be honest I only use a ThermoWorks thermopen now on poultry. With pork and beef it’s just color and tenderness with probe
I have been terribly unhappy with my ThermoWorks meat will be at say 89 degrees then alarm will go off 10 min later and 1 probe will be 170. Dont know if it’s a bad unit or bad probe.

feel compelled to weigh in with my YS640. Love it. Its 5 years old and I upgraded to the new controller and ceramic igniter. Haven't had the problem about the plate needing cleaned as the user a couple of posts earlier....Use only lumberjack pellets. I'm sorry that you are having trouble finding one but, would say they are worth the wait :)

feel compelled to weigh in with my YS640. Love it. Its 5 years old and I upgraded to the new controller and ceramic igniter. Haven't had the problem about the plate needing cleaned as the user a couple of posts earlier....Use only lumberjack pellets. I'm sorry that you are having trouble finding one but, would say they are worth the wait :)
So you never had any issues with lighting the pellets Before you bought the ceramic igniter? The hole in my plate for the igniter gets crusted over. I have been using lumberjack pellets for the last 2 years.

I have a Traeger now, but am waiting on a delivery on a RecTeq RT-700. I know some complain about the app, but that isn't a deal breaker for me. I figure that is a software thing that can be fixed in the future.

I looked at Yoder (S640), the Camp Chef Woodwind 36, Traeger Ironwood, etc. In the end it came down to the word of mouth and reviews on RecTeq. They also have a 6 Year warranty. They also use a lot of stainless steel in their builds which is a plus in my book.

I normally use an iGrill or Inkbird probe set for monitoring, so the recteq app and disconnects that some report are not that big of a deal *for me*. More important to me is it's ability to keep the temp within 5 degrees of what it is set at.

Reactions: Buttah Butts
So you never had any issues with lighting the pellets Before you bought the ceramic igniter? The hole in my plate for the igniter gets crusted over. I have been using lumberjack pellets for the last 2 years.
Sorry for the delay. No. I was always able to get a fire. The ceramic lighter makes quicker work of it, but never required additional intervention previously.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky