opinions needed...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrmosh303

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Hudson, Co
posted in a different thread, but wanted to make sure it was seen...thanks...

15.5hrs later, fat up over some mesquite, smoking perfectly, with temps waffling between 205 and 230 and this is how it looks...it is now resting in a cooler, wrapped in foil, then 2 towels and a blanket...i was thinking of letting it rest until dinner, about 10 hrs away...do you guys think that is WAY too long, and should be placed in the fridge? i am always scared of bacteria, and not sure what my next move is, since my math sux and it is already resting...

thanks for your thoughts on the resting period...

keep calm, and smoke on!!

If properly wrapped in towels and in a decent ice chest if should stay warm enough to be safe.  You are kind of pushing it but if you don't have it outside in freezing weather you shouldn't have a problem. I let them go over night wrapped all the time but 10 hours is a bit iffy.  Good luck,  I'd do it.

it is indeed in a good cooler, and sitting next to the counter with the cutting board...it is so hard to wait until the wifey is done with that damn job so we can cut this hunk of cow!!

thanks for the input alblancher...like i said, if my math was not so bad, i would had this nailed...

i will post some cut pictures, since i am sure the smoke ring is going to be a thing of beauty, to be praised by many...

and here it is...rested for about 10hrs, like i said it was going to, after 15.5 over mesquite and a temp hovering about 225...according to the new maverick, at least...was very tasty, very smoky...serve with a lil warm k.c. masterpiece next to it, some baked beans and a salad...

Nice briskey........... Your making me want some.......

it is a very tasty one, for sure...i cut open one of the chunks from a seal already, and it was good also...so, my reasoning for fat up, was so as fat melted it would "baste" or flavor the piece...not sure if that is how it works, but it is the way it worked in my head, so i did it...now, i did inject with beef broth and some garlic powder w/parsley(strained before injecting)...and the entire time in the smoker was not wrapped...it was monitored on my new maverick wireless bbq thermometer to keep temp between 205 and about 225...used chunks of mesquite...then wrapped and placed in a cooler, and really prolly too long in a cooler but it was still warm when i unwrapped it...very smokey, very tender...only used a small bowl warm sauce for dipping every coupla bites, chopped some for a salad last night...dang it...i think i am going to cut another bag and slice some more of it now!!

unwraped the whole time huh? I've been haveing abit of a bear figguring out my brisket but I think I'm gonna try that. and I've done it fat down but I'm thinking i'm gonna give it a go with fat up...just because your brisket looks so dang awesome...see what you did
banana_smiley.gif
no point to the bananna I just like it

Has anyone else done this???

Just leave the temp probe in...

Thats what I did because I was waiting on the wife to get off as well. It didn't make it...

When my 10lb butt wrapped in foil, two towels and in a fairly cheap cooler fell from 205 to 160, after about 6 hours, I figured I better pull it.

Last edited:
heh, heh, heh...he left the probe in, until the wife got off...heh, heh, heh...(in my best beavis and butthead voice)

and just to clarify what i did...i only probed the temp in the locker...when i wrapped and put it in the cooler, i removed the probe...but after reading the posts and replies, i think i will leave the probe in next time to monitor the temp while wrapped...this was my 1st attempt at brisket, and got lucky, or maybe just took the info i read in this forum, and tried to apply more then just the first method i seen...i do look at "amazing ribs" page on FB, but usually just about equipment, i like the open forum and ideas that the smokers in this forum post much more...you guys rock, and please keep helping me smoke meat that your mother would be proud of!!!

keep calm and smoke on!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky