Open Pit Tri-Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks all for the kind words, likes and BIG likes!
In case anyone is wondering I’ve found Tri-Tips at Giant foods grocery store chain. Only place I’ve found them in PA.
Peachey,
I am also in Central PA, and yeah I also saw that my local Giant just started carrying tri-tips. I wanted to add that I have found a half dozen tri-tips in that last year at my local Walmart (Black Angus/Choice) that have been very good quality and really well priced. I talked to one of the guys who is always stocking the meats and he says they get a "handful" of tri-tips in with each order, but that they do not last long once they get put out. Every time I go to Walmart (which is about once every two weeks) I look for them. Every time I see one I grab it, and I have only ever seen more then a lone tri-tip once.
You treated that thing perfectly!!! Open fire is how tri-tip is suppose to be cooked!
Mike R

Peachey,
I am also in Central PA, and yeah I also saw that my local Giant just started carrying tri-tips. I wanted to add that I have found a half dozen tri-tips in that last year at my local Walmart (Black Angus/Choice) that have been very good quality and really well priced. I talked to one of the guys who is always stocking the meats and he says they get a "handful" of tri-tips in with each order, but that they do not last long once they get put out. Every time I go to Walmart (which is about once every two weeks) I look for them. Every time I see one I grab it, and I have only ever seen more then a lone tri-tip once.
You treated that thing perfectly!!! Open fire is how tri-tip is suppose to be cooked!
Mike R
Thanks for the info on wally. I try to not go into that store but will look if I ever do. I was pleased with what I’ve found at Giant. It’s nice someone is carrying them.

Looks great. Amazing how you can spend Thousands on a Smoker/Grill and a simple Pit and some splits will make food just as good!...JJ
This is how T.T. should be cooked, in my opinion it's by far the best way. Hot and fast over some smokey wood coals to an internal temp of 125* with an hour rest in a warm Cambro or oven.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Nothing better than cooked over an open fire: both smoking and roasting flavors.
I just cooked tri tip on an open fire last week (Memorial Day). Cooked about 18 inches from oak fire/coals for about 40 minutes (maybe 325F from hand thermometer), then seared.

Thanks all for the kind words, likes and BIG likes!
In case anyone is wondering I’ve found Tri-Tips at Giant foods grocery store chain. Only place I’ve found them in PA.
I wish that I could get tri-tip, can't find it anywhere around me. But I also wish that I could get a bone-in sirloin steak like they used to cut back in the day...
1623443535145.png

Or with the tri-tip still attached...
1623443705419.png

Reactions: smokin peachey
You are torturing me man. I am still recovering from oral surgery and on a soft diet. Craving, I mean really craving BBQ but I just can't do the BBQ smoothie.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky