• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Open Pit Tri-Tip

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Looks great. Glad to see you still practicing. :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:

Warren

Mike R.

Fire Starter
Joined May 24, 2021
Thanks all for the kind words, likes and BIG likes!
In case anyone is wondering I’ve found Tri-Tips at Giant foods grocery store chain. Only place I’ve found them in PA.
Peachey,
I am also in Central PA, and yeah I also saw that my local Giant just started carrying tri-tips. I wanted to add that I have found a half dozen tri-tips in that last year at my local Walmart (Black Angus/Choice) that have been very good quality and really well priced. I talked to one of the guys who is always stocking the meats and he says they get a "handful" of tri-tips in with each order, but that they do not last long once they get put out. Every time I go to Walmart (which is about once every two weeks) I look for them. Every time I see one I grab it, and I have only ever seen more then a lone tri-tip once.
You treated that thing perfectly!!! Open fire is how tri-tip is suppose to be cooked!
Mike R

smokin peachey

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 1, 2016
Peachey,
I am also in Central PA, and yeah I also saw that my local Giant just started carrying tri-tips. I wanted to add that I have found a half dozen tri-tips in that last year at my local Walmart (Black Angus/Choice) that have been very good quality and really well priced. I talked to one of the guys who is always stocking the meats and he says they get a "handful" of tri-tips in with each order, but that they do not last long once they get put out. Every time I go to Walmart (which is about once every two weeks) I look for them. Every time I see one I grab it, and I have only ever seen more then a lone tri-tip once.
You treated that thing perfectly!!! Open fire is how tri-tip is suppose to be cooked!
Mike R
Thanks for the info on wally. I try to not go into that store but will look if I ever do. I was pleased with what I’ve found at Giant. It’s nice someone is carrying them.

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
Looks great. Amazing how you can spend Thousands on a Smoker/Grill and a simple Pit and some splits will make food just as good!...JJ
This is how T.T. should be cooked, in my opinion it's by far the best way. Hot and fast over some smokey wood coals to an internal temp of 125* with an hour rest in a warm Cambro or oven.

edmonds

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 6, 2020
Nothing better than cooked over an open fire: both smoking and roasting flavors.
I just cooked tri tip on an open fire last week (Memorial Day). Cooked about 18 inches from oak fire/coals for about 40 minutes (maybe 325F from hand thermometer), then seared.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
What a great meal! Big like!

GonnaSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Sep 19, 2018
Thanks all for the kind words, likes and BIG likes!
In case anyone is wondering I’ve found Tri-Tips at Giant foods grocery store chain. Only place I’ve found them in PA.
I wish that I could get tri-tip, can't find it anywhere around me. But I also wish that I could get a bone-in sirloin steak like they used to cut back in the day...
1623443535145.png

Or with the tri-tip still attached...
1623443705419.png

GATOR240

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 15, 2017
I almost missed this. Not much that I can add that hasn't already been said. Excellent piece of work! Big like!

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
Wow, I totally missed this thread. Great looking meal Peachey, That had to be delicious!

daspyknows

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 9, 2020
You are torturing me man. I am still recovering from oral surgery and on a soft diet. Craving, I mean really craving BBQ but I just can't do the BBQ smoothie.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.