Onions compared to Onion Powder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billclarkson

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Refugio, Texas
Well all i am one person who loves all these neat recipes and i would have to say that 95% of them call for chopped or sliced or diced onions. I have to confess that the only way that anyone can get a onion passed me is if they mush it up that it is almost a liquid. i just can not bit into a onion, if i do i turn just as white as the white behind these messages. So my question is this, how much onion powder would i need to use to say be equilivant to say half a medium sized onion? I am hoping that someone besides me is also unable to bite into a onion. Now as far as mushing up a onion for sauces or mops that works out okay since i am not gonna bite into a onion. So any help is muchly appreciated.....

Thanks
Bill

Bill -

I can't stand raw onions but I do like to use them cooked as a spice. In salad dressings I use onion powder so I don't have to bite into a raw onion.

To under your question:

1 medium diced onion = 1 tablespoon of onion powder

Enjoy!

icon_biggrin.gif

1 small onion = 1/3 cup = 1 teaspoon onion powder = 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes

Hope this works out for you. I found this online. I don't have the problem wit onions myself, but don't always like usinging them whole so I will give this a try as well.

i do the cooking
my honey does the dishes

i luv the taste of onions..
my honey will not eat things with onions that she can see..

SO
powdered onion is used in 95% of the food around these parts..
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

there is also no saying you can't omit the onion and add something else if you like......but for me.....I like onion almost as much as I like garlic.....
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

i hate onions, but the flavor is ok by me; i do not like the texture i guess. i do not like much "crunchy" stuff. even cooked onions i do not like, they are still crunchy to me. i use onion powder though, on just about everything i smoke.

DON'T LIKE ONIONS!!!!!!? How?
My kids eat them like apples. But they won't eat a tomato unless it's whole and fresh.
I won't eat an olive of any color.
My wife will eat anything that grows up or down from dirt.
But onions? You folks are silly.

Not liking onions???? Raw or cooked!!!!! thats almost sacrilegious..
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif
and if ya start raggin on garlic...well there are serous issues to get worked out....
biggrin.gif

my missus didnt like onions when we met... started her with roasted red(purple) onions...she liked those, then started to mince them...if she doesnt bite into a raw onion she is ok with it..

me i love them... you cant have a steak without fried onions..lol

and i dont think there are any garlic haters here... better not be..lmao

Mmm, roasted onions. My favorite onion recipe:

Core out a Vidalia onion using an apple corer, leaving the bottom blossom end intact. Put a beef boullion cube inside the cored-out onion. Add some black pepper, and top it with 1 tbsp of butter. Wrap the onion in foil, and roast it until the onion is soft. It's dead simple and VERY tasty. I make this every time Vidalias are in season.

Onion does make a great spice as does garlic they just go together. I don't think ever ever met anyone who doesn't like garlic, but most peple don't want to bite into a clove or anything. There are both the same plant family.

Wow did not think there would be this much of a reply but i see that i am not the only one who can not stand the crunch of a onion. Was not real sure how much onion powder equalled say 1/2 a onion but i see a few have answered my question and thank you so much for that. I like others like the flavor of a onion but just not the crunch and sometimes the smell of onions. But to each their own and again thanks.

Bill

I do not like them in a box. I do not like them with a fox. I do not like them in a house. I do not like them with a mouse. I do not like them here or there. I do not like them anywhere. I do not like green eggs and ham.(onions) I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

Sorry, ever since this post started I couln't get this out of my nogging
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif
Feel beeter now
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Just for the record I help keep the onion growers of america stay in businness!!!!

wait...as a pizano...ummmm onion and garlic are the main ingredients!!!! really.....

banging my head....on something........
icon_evil.gif
(here I am just some idiot german type dude...)

No smoked.... I love them..heck I'd probably put them in my cereal if folks didn't recoil in horror
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif
Just had that Dr Suess thing running around in my brain.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky