One year and smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Suam461

Original poster
May 28, 2018
Hey all! Been lurking here since last summer when I caught the smoking bug. Thanks for all the tips! Bought a cheap charcoal Masterbuilt bullet for my husband to see if he would like it, but it turned out to be more of my thing than his. I had a lot of issues with it in the beginning, loss of heat and bad airflow mostly. Since then I’ve modded it in several ways to get a decent cook out my little guy (happy to share those mods but they are mostly from this forum).
So far I’ve made ribs, chicken (whole and pieces), pork loin, sausages, and my favorite; a turkey breast for thanksgiving. Got up early this morning to start my first smoke this year, a beautiful pork butt!
If all goes well, I’m probably going to look at upgrading my smoker this year. What are your favorite charcoal smokers on the market?
Thanks for reading!
-L

Welcome and glad you joined. Sounds like you’ve been doing some homework. I’m a big fan of the WSM, I have the 22.5” and I’m extremely happy with it. I’ve done no mods to it and I don’t plan on doing any either.

I went with the big one cause not too many times do you here of someone saying, man I wish I would’ve gotten a smaller smoker... and I wanted to do full racks of ribs. I can lay 3 racks down flat on each grate. Plenty of people have the 18” and love it too.
Whatever you decide to get, can’t wait to see some great looking Q coming off of it!

Reactions: Suam461
Welcome to the site, and I echo what others have said - WSM. Toughest choice will be deciding which size.

Chris

Thanks for the recommendations! I've had several Weber grills over the years so I'll definitely check out their smoker options.
Pork turned out pretty great yesterday! Took about 8 hours total to do a 7.5# butt. Kept it about 225°-250°- 4 uncovered and 3 wrapped in foil plus and hour of rest. May be a new favorite cut-seems like it would be hard to dry it out if I tried!
-L
IMG_20180528_155852.jpg
IMG_20180528_160553.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky