Old World Bacon... My Way.... UPDATE 6/15/21

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
2 weeks... cure is done...

Rinse and dry... 5 days back in the refer to "bloom" and form a decent pellicle.... and lose more moisture to intensify the flavor...

needs a rinse...

DSCF0304.JPG

DSCF0305.JPG

rinsed and dried...

DSCF0306.JPG

DSCF0307.JPG

Soon, into the smoker.....

BBL....

Looks good Dave!
I have some buckboard bacon cold smoking right now.
Should be ready to slice on Father’s Day for Challah bread French toast & mimosas.
Al

Reactions: daveomak
I did 2 each 6-8 hour smokes using dust I make up... Friday night and again Saturday night....
It's now in the refer for a few more days to bloom.... Get the smoke distributed throughout the meat for a uniform flavor...
NOTE: since the start, the slab was open to the refer... NO bagging or anything close...

DSCF0309.JPG

DSCF0310.JPG

I will slice the belly in half then slice on the meat slicer... I can't cut full bellies..

DSCF0310 2.jpg

The meat has lost a bunch of weight concentrating the flavor... Ummmm good...

I did 2 each 6-8 hour smokes using dust I make up... Friday night and again Saturday night....
It's now in the refer for a few more days to bloom.... Get the smoke distributed throughout the meat for a uniform flavor...
NOTE: since the start, the slab was open to the refer... NO bagging or anything close...

View attachment 500688

View attachment 500689

I will slice the belly in half then slice on the meat slicer... I can't cut full bellies..

View attachment 500693

The meat has lost a bunch of weight concentrating the flavor... Ummmm good...

Beautiful!

That sure looks good, I need to try my hand at this. I've never attempted any cured meat so I've got a ton to learn.

You will need 2 scales... Preferably electronic....
0-20#'s +/_
0-100 grams for accuracy measuring cure, spices and herbs etc..

A starting point is..
1.5-1.8% Kosher salt
+
0.25% cure#1 (returns ~156 Ppm nitrite)
+
1% white sugar (for a very mild sweet flavor to combat any saltiness flavor AND hold moisture in the meat)
+
any UNSALTED spices and herbs for your specific flavor profile, generally 1-2%.;.

Other sugars are filthy and can cause unwanted molds and bacterial growth... (cane, molasses etc.)

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
That some real good looking bacon Dave

Point for sure
Chris

You will need 2 scales... Preferably electronic....
0-20#'s +/_
0-100 grams for accuracy measuring cure, spices and herbs etc..

A starting point is..
1.5-1.8% Kosher salt
+
0.25% cure#1 (returns ~156 Ppm nitrite)
+
1% white sugar (for a very mild sweet flavor to combat any saltiness flavor AND hold moisture in the meat)
+
any UNSALTED spices and herbs for your specific flavor profile, generally 1-2%.;.

Other sugars are filthy and can cause unwanted molds and bacterial growth... (cane, molasses etc.)
Thanks, Dave, I've bookmarked this. I did tell a little bit of a lie, I've cured brisket for pastrami and corned beef.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky