• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Old World Bacon... My Way.... UPDATE 6/15/21

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
2 weeks... cure is done...

Rinse and dry... 5 days back in the refer to "bloom" and form a decent pellicle.... and lose more moisture to intensify the flavor...

needs a rinse...

DSCF0304.JPG

DSCF0305.JPG

rinsed and dried...

DSCF0306.JPG

DSCF0307.JPG

Soon, into the smoker.....

BBL....

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
Dave,

Good to see that the broken arm isn't slowing you down.

Staying tuned in for this one for sure.

daveomak

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
It's slowing down a lot of stuff...

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Looks good Dave!
I have some buckboard bacon cold smoking right now.
Should be ready to slice on Father’s Day for Challah bread French toast & mimosas.
Al

daveomak

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Wish I could be there Al.....

daveomak

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
I did 2 each 6-8 hour smokes using dust I make up... Friday night and again Saturday night....
It's now in the refer for a few more days to bloom.... Get the smoke distributed throughout the meat for a uniform flavor...
NOTE: since the start, the slab was open to the refer... NO bagging or anything close...

DSCF0309.JPG

DSCF0310.JPG

I will slice the belly in half then slice on the meat slicer... I can't cut full bellies..

DSCF0310 2.jpg

The meat has lost a bunch of weight concentrating the flavor... Ummmm good...

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
I did 2 each 6-8 hour smokes using dust I make up... Friday night and again Saturday night....
It's now in the refer for a few more days to bloom.... Get the smoke distributed throughout the meat for a uniform flavor...
NOTE: since the start, the slab was open to the refer... NO bagging or anything close...

View attachment 500688

View attachment 500689

I will slice the belly in half then slice on the meat slicer... I can't cut full bellies..

View attachment 500693

The meat has lost a bunch of weight concentrating the flavor... Ummmm good...
Beautiful!

GonnaSmoke

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2018
That sure looks good, I need to try my hand at this. I've never attempted any cured meat so I've got a ton to learn.

daveomak

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
That sure looks good, I need to try my hand at this. I've never attempted any cured meat so I've got a ton to learn.
You will need 2 scales... Preferably electronic....
0-20#'s +/_
0-100 grams for accuracy measuring cure, spices and herbs etc..

A starting point is..
1.5-1.8% Kosher salt
+
0.25% cure#1 (returns ~156 Ppm nitrite)
+
1% white sugar (for a very mild sweet flavor to combat any saltiness flavor AND hold moisture in the meat)
+
any UNSALTED spices and herbs for your specific flavor profile, generally 1-2%.;.

Other sugars are filthy and can cause unwanted molds and bacterial growth... (cane, molasses etc.)

GonnaSmoke

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2018
You will need 2 scales... Preferably electronic....
0-20#'s +/_
0-100 grams for accuracy measuring cure, spices and herbs etc..

A starting point is..
1.5-1.8% Kosher salt
+
0.25% cure#1 (returns ~156 Ppm nitrite)
+
1% white sugar (for a very mild sweet flavor to combat any saltiness flavor AND hold moisture in the meat)
+
any UNSALTED spices and herbs for your specific flavor profile, generally 1-2%.;.

Other sugars are filthy and can cause unwanted molds and bacterial growth... (cane, molasses etc.)
Thanks, Dave, I've bookmarked this. I did tell a little bit of a lie, I've cured brisket for pastrami and corned beef.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.