Old Tank, New Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks really nice! Pretty similar to the build I did. The paint on my tank was super thick as well. I had it blasted by a dustless blaster.

Reactions: EricBW
Well this project slid to the back burner while other house and car projects took priority, but we're back at it! Spring is getting close, and I'd like to have this ready for summer.... Like I wanted to do for last summer haha.

I got sick of moving the tank around all the time, so the cart was next at bat. I had a bunch of aluminum tubing drops from work, and I needed to practice my aluminum TIG.... so aluminum cart it is! Add a couple wheels from harbor freight, and it was a complete deal.... I thought. Turns out the rear wheels are going to have to be repositioned due to stability issues.... Shooting from the hip didn't win on this one lol

20220205_135215.jpg

20220206_095526.jpg

20220206_121149.jpg

20220206_122849.jpg

Last edited:
Up next was stack and firebox.... again more scraps from work. Might hafta rename this the scrapyard smoker lol.

Stack was a big chuck of schedule pipe that was sitting on our steel rack at the shop for years. Easy choice.

For the firebox, I had some drops of 1/8" sheet, that when folded into 3 sections was the perfect size for half the firebox. They've been sitting in my garage for years, and this was the perfect opportunity to use em up. Didn't like it being so thin, so I doubled up the sheets for thickness, and rosette welded them together. I attached some photos of my planning/layout process on this as well. Just designed on the fly instead of using my solidworks drawings I had originally planned on.

I built a complete "inner" box from 2 sheets folded into C's and welded them together. Then did the same process to double the walls up and make it thicker.

20220305_154942.jpg

After welding the top of the box on, I carried my layout lines down to the front for the top door. This way everything stayed square even if my box isn't perfect. I tacked the front panel on and made alignment marks. That way i could remove the panel to drill additional holes for my welds to attach the dual walls together.

You can see I have additional rosette welds around seams of both doors. Once cut out, I will TIG fuse weld the panels together at the edges as well.

20220305_162228.jpg

After welding on hinges, I cut the door opening for the firebox. I also have layed out a top door on the firebox for searing/frying pan use. Both doors on the firebox will get the thin strapping "framing" like I did on the main cooking chamber door.

20220306_105914.jpg

20220306_114209.jpg

And to bring this up to date, here's a picture with the stack welded in as well. This photo shows best that with the added weight of the box, it's aquired a bit of a Carolina squat.... The "front" end with the casters is extremely light.

Haven't decided exactly how i'm going to change this yet, but obviously wheels are getting moved back. Also going to make the stance a bit wider as well. It's a bit less stable than i'd like.

20220306_084637.jpg

Bit of a progress update.... It's nearing the finish line!

First up was to finish weld everything I've done so far.... lots and lots of welding! It's been good practice though, I haven't done this much welding in a while, so welds are really starting to look nice!

20220309_174822.jpg

Next I decided to tackle my air intake situation for the firebox. Really wanted to use a big ball valve to control air.... then I saw a 2" one was 70 bucks! that's more than I have in this entire project so far. Glad I second guessed it though, because volume of air a ball valve moved would never be enough.

Here's the final product I came up with.... used angle iron for the "rails" and milled them down to hold the plate securely. Used a 2" hole saw for the firebox and slider, and just offset them as you can see. Cut the handle off a harbor freight chisel hammer and welded that on there to grab onto.

20220314_200451.jpg

20220314_200505.jpg

Next up I re-did my rear wheel situation.... built an axle using scrap square tube, and some 5/8" bolts, and just welded under the firebox. MUCH more stable now. Also level, which is probably good... haha. Need to cut off my old mounts off the aluminum frame. Also going to widen out the front casters/add support for those as well.

20220315_205937.jpg

To get me up to date, I got the "rails" for my cooking grate welded in. Still waiting on my expanded metal for the grate to show up. Once that's welded on, I'll add some angle on the top of the rails to keep the drawer from tipping out of the smoker.

You can see in this picture, I also welded in a piece of scrap pipe, with a ball valve that extends through bottom of the tank for a grease drain.... May cut that plate, and add a channel leading to this yet, but we will see how first testing goes.

20220315_210105.jpg

That's lookin awesome. You are a craftsman and know what you're doing. After seeing posts like these I always think about taking up welding.

Reactions: EricBW
That's lookin awesome. You are a craftsman and know what you're doing. After seeing posts like these I always think about taking up welding.

Appreciate it! I taught myself to weld when I was a teenager... jump in and just learn it kind of thing. I'm the kind of guy that spends more time in the garage than the house, so its a valuable skill to have for sure!

Big progress on the smoker last night! Got home from work, and the expanded metal I ordered finally showed up. So I knocked out the cooking grate. I added some angle above the grate, so It can slide out like a drawer, and not fall out.

20220318_194503.jpg

20220318_194531.jpg

I also added probe ports for my Fireboard 2. Drilled and tapped holes just above grate level. There's one on each side of the grate. This should give me a good idea of temperature difference across the cooking surface.

20220318_212156.jpg

I did a test-burn the other night, and found that a lot of the coals/embers were falling through the rack I made for the firebox. I made it out of scrap round bar initially. I had just enough of the expanded metal left over, that I added that on top of the grate. We will see this weekend if this helps, or if the holes are still too large. If too many fall through, I will take a solid plate, and cut some airflow holes through it.

20220318_194453.jpg

20220318_201417.jpg

Still need to figure out what material I'd like to make my shelf out of, along with other smaller projects, but this thing is ready to make some ribs on Sunday! Ready to dive into my first stick burner learning process for sure!

20220318_204253.jpg

It's all coming together nicely... good job...

I'd like to make a suggestion if I could...
In this picture... your angle to hold the grate in... Do you have a stop on the back side of your grate that hits the angle iron and stops the grate from coming out ?? Can you get the grate all the way out if that's the case ?? If not.. here's how I did mine so I can remove the grate but still have a stop and keep it from falling out...
The piece of angle iron needs to only be about a 1/2 - 3/4 inches long... raise it up to about 1/2 inch high off the grate and about 3" in from the front... Now weld a tab on the back of the grate that will be just tall enough to hit the stop (angle iron).... Now when grate is pulled all the way out against the stop, lift the front of the grate up at an angle so the stop on the back of the grate will slide under the angle iron... You will have to play with the height of the tab... grinding the top of the grate tab down to where it will just slide under the angle iron when grate is lifted up at an angle and pulled/slid out ...

If your confused or don't understand .. let me know

It's all coming together nicely... good job...

I'd like to make a suggestion if I could...
In this picture... your angle to hold the grate in... Do you have a stop on the back side of your grate that hits the angle iron and stops the grate from coming out ?? Can you get the grate all the way out if that's the case ?? If not.. here's how I did mine so I can remove the grate but still have a stop and keep it from falling out...
The piece of angle iron needs to only be about a 1/2 - 3/4 inches long... raise it up to about 1/2 inch high off the grate and about 3" in from the front... Now weld a tab on the back of the grate that will be just tall enough to hit the stop (angle iron).... Now when grate is pulled all the way out against the stop, lift the front of the grate up at an angle so the stop on the back of the grate will slide under the angle iron... You will have to play with the height of the tab... grinding the top of the grate tab down to where it will just slide under the angle iron when grate is lifted up at an angle and pulled/slid out ...

If your confused or don't understand .. let me know

I do not have a stop in there at all, no. I get exactly what you're saying, and that is a.... grate... idea! haha.

I will definitely do that in the future. I don't forsee myself accidentally pulling it out too far, but I do like to drink while I'm smoking, so a safety feature is a good idea!

First one's in the books guys! Took me a while to get a hang of fire management, and I'm king of getting the hang of what size splits to use. The air intake slider works awesome once I got coal bed, log size all figured out. Towards the end of the day (about 8hrs of fire time), I got it figured where I'd add a log, leave the door open a couple minutes so it would light, then shut door. It would hold temperature pretty damn close for 15-20 minutes without touching anything once I had my slider in the right position. If things got too hot, opening the firebox door brought temps down. Openinging the slider with the firebox door shut, would bring temps up easily. I'm very very pleased so far, the calculator works!

Looking forward to the learning process on a stick burner, but I'm off to a good start! Just did salt and pepper on these ribs to see how smoke flavor was. 4 hours at 225, 1 hour at 375. Then wrapped in butcher paper with some butter and apple juice for another half hour or so. Tasted better than any seasoned/rubbed/glazed ribs I've cooked on anything else. Just using maple wood so far cause that's what I've got. Great smoke flavor! I'm hooked!!

20220320_111019.jpg

20220320_180354.jpg

20220320_180358.jpg

20220320_180931.jpg

20220320_181329.jpg

PERFECT... excellent learning experience ... As far as temps getting to high... should be able to just close the vent a little bit.. not opening the door... You did right when adding a new split by leaving door open for a minute or two to let split ignite good ...

And the ribs look perfect.... nothing wrong with using maple at all ...

Also.. you might want to look into the V shaped wood basket... they work really well in keeping your coals congregated in one place.. a little less fuel consumption ..

PERFECT... excellent learning experience ... As far as temps getting to high... should be able to just close the vent a little bit.. not opening the door... You did right when adding a new split by leaving door open for a minute or two to let split ignite good ...

And the ribs look perfect.... nothing wrong with using maple at all ...

Also.. you might want to look into the V shaped wood basket... they work really well in keeping your coals congregated in one place.. a little less fuel consumption ..

Thanks for the input, and the compliments!

V-shaped basket sounds like a good idea as well. I did find myself scraping coals together rather frequently, so that sounds like a good improvement!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky