Old School OK Joes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Geos7812

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 4, 2019
check our what I was able to pick up. Full resto is underway. New paint, new racks etc. Super excited to get it fired up this spring, if not sooner.

Attachments

• 675E6AD0-7653-4FAB-AEAC-94E783075C50.jpeg
    675E6AD0-7653-4FAB-AEAC-94E783075C50.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 228
I bought it for $650. I think I got a pretty good deal. We are painting it to make sure we get the rust off and make sure it doesn’t get worse. This sucker is a relic for sure and all in all in good shape.

Oh, that will never work.
It has Colorado Plates on it. Probably been snowed on.
I think you should drop it off at Preacher Man's for a proper break in.

:emoji_laughing:
Nice score!

Oh, that will never work.
It has Colorado Plates on it. Probably been snowed on.
I think you should drop it off at Preacher Man's for a proper break in.
We'll get it broke in real nice in these -23 degree wind-chills we've been having all day! G Geos7812 can stand outside and tend the fire while I stay inside and monitor the temps with my Maverick.

Yup, I'm nice enough to do that for you and your new purchase.

I knew ya’ll would be a great resource for me. Thanks for all the great advice. -23 is no joke.

-23 is no joke.

Nope. -23°F is fricken cold.
But the Powder Snow will ice blast that new-to-you smoker nice and clean going up to Preacher Man's and back.
I use to love how my undercarriage got scrubbed clean in the winters in Wildoming.

Froze the mud Balls right off my Landbruiser.

Last edited:
But the Powder Snow will ice blast that new-to-you smoker nice and clean going up to Preacher Man's and back.
I use to love how my undercarriage got scrubbed clean in the winters in Wildoming.
With the wind and snow we've been having the last two days, it's been like living in Casper, WY.

Hey G Geos7812 you got any pictures of the inside? Does it have tuning plates? How about a deflector panel? You got any mod plans to go with your restoration?

Preacher Man Preacher Man funny you should ask about tuning and baffles. It doesn’t have anything yet. We’ll see what’s needed. On that topic, where can I buy tuning plates or is that a custom fab job typically. I have a backyard 20” that needs some tuning. Here is what the OKJ looks like right now. I almost have the paint stripped off.

Attachments

• CE4CFE44-082F-417D-BE17-0597EB8FEDA4.jpeg
    CE4CFE44-082F-417D-BE17-0597EB8FEDA4.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Ah heck, it's missing the firebox handle. You might as well send it to me in VT. I'll scrap it out for you :emoji_blush:.

Chris

I got that sucker ordered already along with matching handles for cooking chamber and the stack.

I think the burn in will happen instead March.

Update: I don’t think the burn in will be March but I am making progress. Got most of the paint stripped off but the last bits are the hardest to get. I used some paint stripper for the hard to reach spots and will hit it again. Down to bare metal to build it back up again.

Question: do you all think I will need to paint the trailer with Hi Temp paint or will it be fine with regular paint?

Attachments

• 29B0F83A-4CE5-427D-B76B-5955D7DC5388.jpeg
    29B0F83A-4CE5-427D-B76B-5955D7DC5388.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky