Old Penrose Sausage Clone????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pugsbrew

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
SE Ohio
I think it was Penrose that had the outstanding hot pickled small sausages when I was a kid.  Now you can only find weiners in a hot vinegar mix.

Anyone have a recipe, or way to get to the old style hot sausages????

Man I miss those.

Thanks

Mmmm pickled sausage... I don't see those around up here anymore either. Last 1 I had was lets say less than sub par. Be interesting to see what you come up with...

My apologies to the original poster of this recipe , but I never made note of who I stole it from.
I was just thinking of trying this again soon. I never had the original Penrose product but these are pretty good.

Penrose Hot Sausage Recipe.
Vs 3.0

This recipe is about as close as I've come so far.
Penrose (later bought by ConAgra Foods) mixed the spices into the sausage before cooking and pickling. So, in order to achieve the desired level of spicy goodness the brine needs to be VERY spicy!

This recipe makes a one quart jar of pickled sausage. Scale up or down as desired.

__- 1/2 cup water
__- 2 cups white vinegar
__- 1/2 tbs Ground Cayenne Pepper
__- 1 tbs red pepper flakes
__- 1 tsp minced Garlic.
__- 1 tbs dried minced onion
__- 1 tsp Paprika
__- 1/2 tsp white pepper
__- 1 tbs salt
__- Lg pinch all spice
__- 28 oz pkg Hillshire Farms 'lil Smokies, or other precooked link sausage, cut in two. (MUST be precooked!) Kielbasa sliced about 1/2 inch thick works also. Hot dogs just don't work.
__- Or, use to pickle Boiled Eggs!

Directions

1* On medium-high heat, combine the water, salt, vinegar, and spices.
2* Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes in a well ventilated area.
NOTE: when you're simmering the brine, make sure you have a ventilator fan running or a window and door open, the vinegar and Cayenne pepper boiling is kinda' hard on a the eyes! Almost like mace...
3* Place precooked sausage into a 1 qt sterile jar. Fill jar but don't pack tightly.
4* Pour the hot vinegar mixture in with the sausage, If there isn't enough, add some vinegar. Secure the lid.
5* Let cool, then place in the 'frige. keep Refrigerated after opening.
6* Ready to eat in 5 to 7 days.

When opened for the first time, there will be a layer of fat on top and the underside of the lid, remove if you want too.

Reactions: pa42phigh
Recipe looks great, similar to what I've used in the past. I disagree though, Hot Dogs work just fine.

they are really really good, I could not stay out of them for 2 weeks!!!
I did a quart with hot dogs also, not bad but smokies were better IMO

ohhh WE gonna be trying this recipe..As a kid I could knock out a smaller jar of the Penrose sausage..easy.

Like a lot of things thought they would always be available,,,this recipe gets close I will be very happy.

ohhh WE gonna be trying this recipe..As a kid I could knock out a smaller jar of the Penrose sausage..easy.

Like a lot of things thought they would always be available,,,this recipe gets close I will be very happy.
oh they are close, I like being able to adjust heat level

This is going to be a loooong two weeks. The only thing I did differently was that I didn't cut the lil smokies in half.

1 6 19.JPG

Four days later I had to try one. They are very good. Still need more time before they are done. But the flavor is there I believe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky