Old Penrose Sausage Clone????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My apologies to the original poster of this recipe , but I never made note of who I stole it from.
I was just thinking of trying this again soon. I never had the original Penrose product but these are pretty good.

Penrose Hot Sausage Recipe.
Vs 3.0

My introduction to pickled Polish sausage was in 1966 in Viet Nam. The mother of a Polish friend sent them to him regularly. He was generous enough to share them with me and I was very grateful.
After returning home I never missed an opportunity when I would see a jar full of pickled sausage in a bar or wherever.

This recipe gets me as close as I need to be, very excellent! I use (2) 14 oz links of Hillshire Farm Polish Kielbasa which fills a quart canning jar (wide mouth works best). And I don't wait 2 weeks.
Thank you for posting.

My introduction to pickled Polish sausage was in 1966 in Viet Nam. The mother of a Polish friend sent them to him regularly. He was generous enough to share them with me and I was very grateful.
After returning home I never missed an opportunity when I would see a jar full of pickled sausage in a bar or wherever.

This recipe gets me as close as I need to be, very excellent! I use (2) 14 oz links of Hillshire Farm Polish Kielbasa which fills a quart canning jar (wide mouth works best). And I don't wait 2 weeks.
Thank you for posting.

If you liked those. Then you may want to give these a try. I've been tweaking my recipe around quite a bit. And came up with this:

These are the best I've made to date.

So I got about 6lbs of homemade natural casing stuffed smoked Kielbasa. You think that would be good to use a couple of lbs to try this brine on? The Kielbasa is not spicy.

The Hillshire Farm Polish Kielbasa I use is not spicy. There is some heat in the brine but as always it's spice to your taste. I like the recipe as is but will at some point add a little more heat to the brine to experiment.
If you like pickled sausage you won't go wrong with this recipe, IMHO.

I love pickled sausage. I guess more I was wondering you think the natural casing would get tough vs a collagen casing? eh guess I just need to mix up a batch. Last go around (several replies and months ago) I used lil smokies..no aint none left and that version of the recipe was pretty dang good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky