Old German pork Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tholsing

Original poster
Dec 20, 2010
First of all, thanks for all the wonderful information in these forums. I am beginning a home made smoker project (thanks Todd and the amazin smoker). I have now been exploring some of the sausage threads and don't mean to revisit the botulism topic, but I am curious on your opinion.

We are going to be butchering 3 hogs this weekend (that says Merry Christmas!). I remember grew up and doing this every winter with my grandparents and family. It is a lot of work, but brings the family together. We haven't continued the tradition for a number of years, but I am trying to revive the tradition. Besides the chops, ground pork, roasts, etc... We stuff a lot of casings. I don't think the old recipes that were used for years included a cure. And I don't think the smoking methods were as precise as what I have read on these forums. In fact, the smoke house is an old grain shed and the sausages are hung from the rafters and smoke generated from burning cut hickory. I don't think the internal meat temperature reached the 140F mark. I could be wrong, but I will test my theory this weekend.

I would guess that the reason that no one has fallen ill from Botulism toxin is that the pork sausage is always thoroughly cooked. It is  taken out of the freezer and baked in an oven at 350F for an hour. Its an easy, minimal preparation, and excellent meal. But would the taste quality suffer if this smoking/curing (or lack there of) process was incomplete. I have always thought the taste was excellent. 

Anyway, just a quick thought and I thank you all in advance for your response. We are even going to breakout the old school blood-wurst recipe. Has anybody tried blood sausage? 

Tracy

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I like blood sausage and plan on making some when i have the time.  Just too busy right now with the holidays, laid off job, found new job, work around the house, beat the kids (just kidding), love the wife, love the kids, making beer, drinking beer, finishing the basement, install water softener, drywall the garages, making summer buffalo summer sausage...looking for volunteers....

love to see your blood sausage recipe...there are a couple on this site and think the Rytek book has one too....and today i see beef tongue and that will have to be put on the to do list....but will have to save that one for when my dad comes out...unless i freeze it....

Mmmmm! Blood sausage. 

I love that stuff. My parent's have  been making it for as long as I can remember. Mom doesn't make it much any more since my dad passed away, but it's always a treat. When I was young, my folks used to get a pig every year and make sausages, hams etc. I think this winter it is time to start doing it again.

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Tracy to SMF. Now I like blood sausage but it's really hard to make it for I can't get the blood around here.  You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction    

The regular sausage recipe we have used in the past consists of Morton's Sausage & Meatloaf seasoning, fresh ground pepper, salt and mustard seed. It is fresh ground pork and stuffed into hog casings. Then just smoking them in the rafters. I remember my hands getting blisters and cut from tying the strings so that the sausages wouldn't fall from the sticks.

We usually take a couple rear quarters into the local butcherer to get the cured ham roasts that you can't find anywhere. I am really looking forward to those! Maybe next year I will try and do that myself. Have you guys seen any recipes or process for that? I haven't searched the website for that yet, but I am sure it is here somewhere.

As far as the blood sausage is concerned, I will get that in the next day or so as we get prepared to butcher. The regular sausage recipe ingredients are easy to recall. All I remember is that the blood needed to be immediately collected and kept very cold and stirred to keep from clotting. If a picture of that doesn't get me on a government watch list, I don't know what will 
icon_biggrin.gif

Most people give me a strange look when I even bring up the concept of blood sausage.  I see I have come to the right place! 

Tracy

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky