Old Country Wrangler- Owners Thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wanted to check in with you all and see if you are getting the same results.  I smoked this weekend, both days, and had some really good temps holding for close to 4 hours.  My old cheapo Chargiller DUO was lucky to get an hour. I'm real impressed.  Hoping to get a firebox crate built out to help even more but thought I would see how your temp times are.

- Don

Roswell 630 I can't take credit for the basket. I first saw the basket on youtube, but if you type charcoal basket in the search bar on this forum it will give step by step instructions with brilliant pictures.

I smoked today and learned a little trick.if you take the plate that came in the firebox and flip to where it sits higher and then put your charcoal basket on top of that plate you will have better air flow which gave me more consistent temps.it also held temps better. Happy smokin.

Great point! Funny, I did just that last weekend because I had too much soot in the bottom and it was way windy so I said screw it and flipped it over. Glad you brought that up.

- Don

Question for you all.  Was wanting to find a grommet to pass the food and temp probe through and came across this  from another thread. Anyone have any experience with these?  They look galvanized. Should I be needing to worry about cooking them off an bit or anything?  If I do, I'm worried about melting the inner rubber.  Not sure if it's a big deal or not.  What do you think?

Question for you all.  Was wanting to find a grommet to pass the food and temp probe through and came across this  from another thread. Anyone have any experience with these?  They look galvanized. Should I be needing to worry about cooking them off an bit or anything?  If I do, I'm worried about melting the inner rubber.  Not sure if it's a big deal or not.  What do you think?
Can you give us a link to the Thread?  I was just looking at mine this weekend and noticing how much bind it is putting on my probe cables by shutting them in the door.  There is rubber made to with stand high temps, keeping in mind that you typically would not have your smoker box above 300-350 Max...or at least I do not.

Smoke ON!

-Jason

Hey man, the link is from another forum, not sure how the mods feel about that. I can put it up if it's ok. I looked and below is all that was realy relevant.
Allows for the probe to pass through, rubber grommet does not tighten around thermo wire. Not a problem.

"Halex 1/2 clamp connector Home Depot 90661 $2.05ea
Halex 1/2"lock nut Home Depot 26190 bag of 6 $.73
Halex/Rigid 3/4-1/2 reducers (washers for thermo clamps)Home Depot26820"

a206ac64bb46f559b9f3b7cfecec9c85.jpg

- Don

Interesting.... I need to check that out.  I plan to make some Mods this and this would be a quick one to the list.

Smoke ON!

-Jason

Interesting.... I need to check that out.  I plan to make some Mods this and this would be a quick one to the list.

Smoke ON!

-Jason

Let me know how it goes man. I actually just snapped both of my probe wires. Bradley grate was too hot and didn't have the door open all the way, soooooooooo snap! Like butter. Was able to reconnect the chamber fire probably so the stoker can manage the food but I'm out a food probe. I need this mod.

- Don

The probe grommets are available from Amazon. Look for 1/2" electric cable connectors. I have been using them and really like the way they work. Also, I got replacement probes for my Maverick on Amazon. I still have the originals, but these are longer. When they came, I got some rubber shrink tubing in the electrical section at Lowe's and put it where the wire comes out of the probe. This works great to take some of the stress off of the connection. Good luck. Joe

I've been planning on getting one of these for a while now.  I've been to Academy a couple of times, and the ones they had in stock weren't in the best condition (bad welds, door sealed bad,...)  There have been several good/perfect models as well, but I just couldn't drop the cash down at those times.  Now I was going to pick one up this week, and the Wrangler is no longer listed on Academy's website.  Anyone know if it is discontinued?

I've been planning on getting one of these for a while now.  I've been to Academy a couple of times, and the ones they had in stock weren't in the best condition (bad welds, door sealed bad,...)  There have been several good/perfect models as well, but I just couldn't drop the cash down at those times.  Now I was going to pick one up this week, and the Wrangler is no longer listed on Academy's website.  Anyone know if it is discontinued?

Yeah man they are discontinued, I picked one up a little over a week ago, they only had two left. You'll have to hunt one down I'd imagine goodluck finding one bro.

Well that sucks!!  I was about to go get one 3 weeks ago and then I spent my extra cash for a down payment on a new Jeep.  I'll have to run by Academy tonight and see if they have any left.  Thanks,

That's to bad.  Really happy with mine. Very solid.  If you can find one, I'd get on it! Mine isn't perfect with the seams and all, but smoke loss is non existent. I was planning on sealing the doors with RTV anyways so a little spot here and there is no big deal.

So I stopped in at Academy Sports today and they still have 2 Wranglers left. I was all set to get one, but this is the first time I have seen one next to the Pecos. I really like the surface area of the Pecos, and even though it is thinner metal,it's already thicker than the chargriller that I have now. I have never smoked any less than 3 racks at a time, and most of the time I am smoking 4-6 racks as well as a point or butt at the same time so the cooking area is important to me. Now I am thinking of getting both and taking the wrangler to our lake house.

Reactions: redline smokin
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky