Old Country Wrangler- Owners Thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I will shorten my 24" extension to 12" and go from there.
Good idea to shorten it. I wouldn't go as much as cutting it in half.
Take a few inches at a time. You can always take it off, it's hard to put back on. When you're done you can do a biscuit test for a few hours and see how she feels. I have the feeling you're going to find you'll be able to dial in the airflow but you'll amplify the cooking from the bottom up.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Cleaned the cooker this morning - removed the disposable aluminum pan that I have always used to catch meat drippings just to make clean-up easier. Bottom and sides of pan were dark with smoke like I have never seen before. Clearly, the cooker was drawing so well with the 24" stack extension that the heat/smoke was being sucked almost straight through the cooker, over-cooking the ribs contrary to the good temperature readings on the thermometers.

I am going to cut the stack extension in half (12") and see how that works. Somewhere along the way earlier, I rough calculated, based on Franklin's cooker, that I would need an 8" stack extension to arrive somewhere proportionate to his cooker, so I should have a 4" cushion.

Next cook will be a pork belly...

Sure, I can smoke a brisket nice without all this experimentation, but if I can save money on wood, and trips up and down the stairs to tend fire (especially in this Godforsaken humidity and heat), that is a plus in my world. :emoji_thumbsup:

I am definitely looking forward to weather wherein I can just sit outside next to the smoker for most of a cook - but I may have to move to Alaska to get that...

Last edited:
Retired Spook, what you just explained is EXACTLY why I cut my baffle out. Way too hot on the bottom. Our stacks are actually pretty close to what they are supposed to be according to Aaron Franklin‘s model. But I found that if I extended it when I cut off the baffle it actually draws too well for a cook chamber our size since the cook chamber is so small and pure fire box is oversized. Removing the baffle allows things to flow how they’re supposed to without a stack extension. When I DID have the stack extension on, it would get WAY hot on the stack side after removing the baffle. Our

Retired Spook, what you just explained is EXACTLY why I cut my baffle out. Way too hot on the bottom. Our stacks are actually pretty close to what they are supposed to be according to Aaron Franklin‘s model. But I found that if I extended it when I cut off the baffle it actually draws too well for a cook chamber our size since the cook chamber is so small and pure fire box is oversized. Removing the baffle allows things to flow how they’re supposed to without a stack extension. When I DID have the stack extension on, it would get WAY hot on the stack side after removing the baffle. Our
You've never stated how long of an extension you added before you removed it?

I am still undecided about the baffle, especially after reading Franklin's thoughts on it that I quoted a few posts back. He seems to think the baffle is a plus on this kind of smoker. I could smoke a brisket fine with the just the charcoal basket and no stack extension but if I can get it to draw just a little better with a short stack extension, I would be happy.

Between you, millerbuilds millerbuilds and myself, we are all seeking the same result, via different methods. :emoji_thumbsup:

I do not know for sure but my hunch is that an 8" stack extension will do the trick!

Last edited:
Reactions: millerbuilds
I reverse seared a prime tomahawk today Here - smoked it without the stack extension. I could get the temperature and smoke right (and no hot spot near the stack) BUT, it just needs a little bit more draw, in my opinion - like an 8" stack extension! :emoji_sunglasses:

More to follow...

You've never stated how long of an extension you added before you removed it?

I am still undecided about the baffle, especially after reading Franklin's thoughts on it that I quoted a few posts back. He seems to think the baffle is a plus on this kind of smoker. I could smoke a brisket fine with the just the charcoal basket and no stack extension but if I can get it to draw just a little better with a short stack extension, I would be happy.

Between you, millerbuilds millerbuilds and myself, we are all seeking the same result, via different methods. :emoji_thumbsup:

I do not know for sure but my hunch is that an 8" stack extension will do the trick!
I think mine ended up being 8”. Maybe even shorter.

I believe that's why some have added a collector to move the hotspot out.
Haven't gotten the nerve to cut out the baffle yet, All the you tubes I see on it said they had to extend the smoke stack at the same time. But it sounds like you had success with cutting the baffle only.

I'll be adding a second Tel-True thermometer at the stack side of the cook chamber door, and cutting my stack extension to 8" and attaching it in the morning - and possibly try to smoke another rack of ribs - but NOT according to Franklin's brush-with-bbq-sauce-and-wrap-in-foil-for-burnt-ribs recipe...

If you never hear from me again it will be because the humidity killed me.

Pray for me - if you lean that way.

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Singing my song of the summer.....
Jim
Thank you Jim.

I have been reading about the dew point because the level of discomfort presently, and in general, here where I live - temporarily - is incomprehensible.

I believe that it is related to barometric pressure, and a low barometric pressure raises the dew point, rising barometric pressure causes the dew point to rise. Meteorology was never a subject of interest before moving to hell.

Nevertheless, I believe I have discovered what made the Comanche such fierce warriors - it was this Godforsaken weather - and they just had to vent about it...

Last edited:
Zeroing in.

Installed the second Tel-True thermometer and 8" stack extension (yesterday - too humid to do that AND cook in the same day), started fire this morning (still humid as...) to cook ribs.

Baffle still in place, rotated firebox cooking grate 90-degrees to gain max height possible from bottom of firebox. Using LavaLock 12x10x6 charcoal basket with 8" post oak splits.

With 8" stack extension in place, 25 to 35-degrees hotter at the stack side of the cook chamber. Removed 8" stack extension - temperatures remarkably even across cook chamber and clean blue smoke.

Go figure...

I am finished experimenting and focusing on cooking going forward!

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

Last edited:
Zeroing in.

Installed the second Tel-True thermometer and 8" stack extension (yesterday - too humid to do that AND cook in the same day), started fire this morning (still humid as...) to cook ribs.

Baffle still in place, rotated firebox cooking grate 90-degrees to gain max height possible from bottom of firebox. Using LavaLock 12x10x6 charcoal basket with 8" post oak splits.

With 8" stack extension in place, 25 to 35-degrees hotter at the stack side of the cook chamber. Removed 8" stack extension - temperatures remarkably even across cook chamber and clean blue smoke.

Go figure...

I am finished experimenting and focusing on cooking going forward!

View attachment 641972

View attachment 641973
There ya go! I wasn’t in the business if adding a collector to even out the temp at the stack end so I just removed the extension. Once I took out the baffle I was convinced that my setup was correct. Fuel efficiency and GREAT bark with no crispy bottoms.

It's been running perfect temperature and perfect smoke with very little effort even with the baffle in place - the ribs are looking great. :emoji_thumbsup: I even have nearly same consistent temperature (just a few degrees hotter) on the top shelf in the cook chamber!!!

Definitely does not need a stack extension in my opinion. I think the charcoal basket and raising the firebox grate did the trick for me.

About half way there. To wrap in foil, or not, that is the question...
IMG_1205.JPG

Temps on the top shelf.
IMG_1206.JPG

No tuning plate / factory baffle in place / I'm kinda bored now...

They came out great! Super super tender and juicy!
IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1212.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

The photos don't even come close to doing the ribs justice - they came out awesome.

Old Country Wrangler - The Little Smoker that Could!

Last edited:
I cooked mine straight through - no foil wrap. I just had a rib for breakfast! :emoji_laughing:

I used the bend test to determine if they were ready and I must have nailed it by mistake - these are the best ribs I've ever cooked. Not falling off the bone but the bone comes out clean and the meat is very tender and juicy.

My next trick will be finding the recipe that an old grandma neighbor used for her ribs when I was a kid - some honey-based mop-sauce that was fantastic. That lady was the best barbecue cook that ever lived.

Reactions: millerbuilds
They came out great! Super super tender and juicy!
View attachment 642110

View attachment 642111

View attachment 642112
The photos don't even come close to doing the ribs justice - they came out awesome.

Old Country Wrangler - The Little Smoker that Could!

I cooked mine straight through - no foil wrap. I just had a rib for breakfast! :emoji_laughing:

I used the bend test to determine if they were ready and I must have nailed it by mistake - these are the best ribs I've ever cooked. Not falling off the bone but the bone comes out clean and the meat is very tender and juicy.

My next trick will be finding the recipe that an old grandma neighbor used for her ribs when I was a kid - some honey-based mop-sauce that was fantastic. That lady was the best barbecue cook that ever lived.
Looks like you nailed it!

- Jason

Well, I gave in... yesterday, I got my grinder out and I cut that baffle out. I had good cooks with this smoker but it just required too much attention, so, I am going to see how it cooks without the baffle.

I bought a select grade point from HEB and it is cooking right now (I did not want to waste a whole brisket if things go wrong). We'll see how it goes without that baffle - but, early impressions are that it breathes better...

We'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPS Reports
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky