Old Country BBQ Pits Wrangler Owners Thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Pics later, please.
95E20D36-271B-46BE-8388-D16FFBD8BF6B.jpeg

lighting made them appear darker than they were - They were Good! 😉👍

Reactions: Displaced Texan
Hello fellow Wrangler owners. I recently purchased my Wrangler and I'm having real difficulties keeping the cook chamber temperature under control.

I run with the exhaust vent fully open and the fire box vent half closed. My fuel is Double split post oak, about 16-18 inches long. Not too big not too small. You can see the general size of my splits on the shelf under the cook chamber in my signature. I burn my fire to the back-right side of the fire box while looking into the box from the side door. I also pre-heat my next split inside, on the left side of the fire box. With my next three splits sitting on top of the fire box warming plate.

The problem I'm having is, every time I add a split, my cook chamber temperature jumps by at least 30-40 degrees as the split burns down. So, if I'm targeting 235º, I wait for the temperature to drop down to 225º-230º before adding the next split. As soon as I move the split from the left side of the fire box, over onto the coals, it ignites and the temperature begins to climb to about 260º-265º. I then wait for the temperature to drop back down and star over again.

This past weekend, I tried smoking a brisket at 275º per Franklin's recommendations, but the cook chamber temperature was swinging from 260º to over 300º. Because of the high temperatures, my 13lb brisket ended up reaching 205º internal temperature in the Flat, within only 9.5 hours, and came out dry & tough.

Can one of you more seasonded Wrangler owners please help me out, or tell me where I may be going wrong?

Any advice would be Greatly Appreciated!

Hello fellow Wrangler owners. I recently purchased my Wrangler and I'm having real difficulties keeping the cook chamber temperature under control.

I run with the exhaust vent fully open and the fire box vent half closed. My fuel is Double split post oak, about 16-18 inches long. Not too big not too small. You can see the general size of my splits on the shelf under the cook chamber in my signature. I burn my fire to the back-right side of the fire box while looking into the box from the side door. I also pre-heat my next split inside, on the left side of the fire box. With my next three splits sitting on top of the fire box warming plate.

The problem I'm having is, every time I add a split, my cook chamber temperature jumps by at least 30-40 degrees as the split burns down. So, if I'm targeting 235º, I wait for the temperature to drop down to 225º-230º before adding the next split. As soon as I move the split from the left side of the fire box, over onto the coals, it ignites and the temperature begins to climb to about 260º-265º. I then wait for the temperature to drop back down and star over again.

This past weekend, I tried smoking a brisket at 275º per Franklin's recommendations, but the cook chamber temperature was swinging from 260º to over 300º. Because of the high temperatures, my 13lb brisket ended up reaching 205º internal temperature in the Flat, within only 9.5 hours, and came out dry & tough.

Can one of you more seasonded Wrangler owners please help me out, or tell me where I may be going wrong?

Any advice would be Greatly Appreciated!
250 works best in my Wrangler for brisket or lower.

Thank you Conrad. So, how do You keep your cook chamber temperature under control, and at 250°?

As I mentioned, my temperature climbes 30-40 degrees every time I add a split.

How do you recommend that I best maintain my Wrangler at 250°?

Do I just need to Accept the 30-40 degree swings, or more, depending on the size of the split, and try my best to Center the swings around my target temperature?

Thanks Displaced Texan. I am not sure I understand the phrase "move the fire away from the firebox"?

Can you elaborate please?
Many wrangler owners, myself included use a charcoal basket to hold the wood. It keeps the heat away from the edges and compacted together. Academy sells them. Oklahoma Joe charcoal fire basket

Here's what they look like (they sit lower in the Wrangler this is a stock photo of the fire basket).
20434556?$pdp-mobile-gallery-ng$.jpg

Reactions: ConrodM
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky