OKJ Highland Praise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RiversideSm0ker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Riverside, Cal
Guys,

I just really have to say I feel very fortunate to have stumbled upon an amazing deal on an Oklahoma Joe’s Highland smoker. I realize this isn’t the old school 1/4” steel version but it’s a relatively heavy cooker at about 200 pounds. I found one on clearance at Walmart for all of $75!

So far I have made my best ever tri tip, pork ribs, pork shoulder, and even chicken on this beast. At first I got all crazy seeing how I could mod this thing like I had seen so many posts and videos about. I took a step back after the gasket was applied to the cooking chamber. I decided to just focus on cooking. I saw some advice from one of the veterans on here about cooking and not modding. So I have been playing around with a few kinds of fuel to try and find what works best. So I’ve just been cooking for the last few weeks.

Props to Ray for the recommendation on Embers charcoal. This has proved very efficient on my cooker. Now I’m sure that I could find a tuning plate that might make things more even across my cooker but I’ve tried to use the hot side for cooking things like chicken or sausages that are better on a higher heat. It gives my cooks a variety of meats and lets me fully utilize my cooking space. I may eventually get a baffle or tuning plate but for now I’m just going to try to really get to know the beast.

My first not fail so far was a pork loin that I tried to cook in Santa Ana winds. Not an easy task. I could not hold a temp high enough to cook. I took the loin off and put it in the oven but forgot to put my probe back into the loin. It got over cooked. That was my fault not my cooker.

I was at Lowe’s today looking for some wood chunks and happened to see on OKJ Highland on display. It was $299. While I might say it could be worth that I’m sure happy to say I didn’t have to pay that much and I’m completely satisfied with my purchase and experience so far. Next weekend I’m going to attempt my first brisket on this puppy. I will be putting your collective advice into my own efforts. I will track the process with pics and post them as the cook progresses. Wish me luck.

Thanks for listening guys.

George

I have the same smoker. If you haven't done it already, I'd suggest installing a temp gauge toward the bottom of the cook chamber lid, about three inches above the grate. I found there was a 50-degree difference between upper and lower gauges.

$75.00 great score. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Chris

Good deal! I got mine on sale for $199 which I thought was a good price.

I got the baffle plate for Christmas, haven’t tried it out yet.

Enjoy the new toy.

I really got lucky with the deal. It seems that they put all of the grill equipment on clearance during the Christmas season but the price must vary from store to store. This one store in my area was the only one that the smoker showed up with that price. They had three of them and I bought one and my co-worker bought the other two. One as a gift for his son and the other for himself. The prices varied from the $75 that I paid to $125, $185, and $268. I was able to put in the several zip codes for the surrounding areas to check different stores. None had that super low price though. I would have bought a few and sold them :)

Now I just have to try to find a half decent brisket for my test run this weekend. I don't want to freeze one so I will go looking Friday evening. Have a good one.

George

That is an incredible price!

Maintenance: the paint on the bottom and side of the firebox will burn through shortly, if it hasn't done so already. I keep a can of Rustoleum grill paint around and spray the bottom and sides of the firebox after every cook. I have zero rust despite the fact that my OKJ sits outside in Oregon all winter.

I know some people like to rub oil on the exterior to prevent rust, but that is a lot more work than just spraying a few shots of Rustoleum every cook. Start doing it now and you'll get many years of great smoking out of it, and you won't have to look at a rusting eyesore on your patio.

Reactions: yankee2bbq
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky