Okie's Brisket method-Jeff's newsletter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dadwith4daughters

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Orlando, FL
I tried Okie's method a few weeks ago and seared it until it was "so black that it looked like it was ruined". I may have taken that a bit too far b/c when it was all done, I had a very bitter crust and the au jus was just a liquid version of the crust. Any thoughts on the proper way to sear? Just seems like I over did it.

I'd say that was it. I have done 2 this way... pulled
'em off once I seen the fat cap crack and start a new "level" of searing below the original crust.

it's easy to over do it when searing and then smoking, fact is I myself would not sear first unless I was trying to "rush" the smoke and finished product. However, this is once again a try and try again until you get it right. Obviously you over did it and everything was burned tasting....you really have to be careful with the searing and rub mix, I'll have to go thru jeff's recent email posting of searing (have not had the chance to yet) to see, however I still think.....don't sear, just manage your time best to make sure it's always low and slow.........
icon_smile.gif

Just sounds like an "over sear"
PDT_Armataz_01_16.gif

Next time sear a bit less, you can always do more, but it's really hard to remove too much.
Try a different rub and don't overload with it, wrap and fridge overnight. Did you pack the surface with black pepper before searing?
Once you get the sear right you will be very pleased with the outcome and flavor.

I didn't catch the specific point in the newsletter about what rub to use, or not use. If you read Smoky's original blurb in Recipezaar, he uses a rub way before searing -- day or days ahead. The day of searing/smoking is pepper. If done in this way, you shouldn't have any problems. Not only does it not burn, it's gently heating the inner meat, so your time overall is reduced.

Like the newsletter said, you may just decide to never do it any other way!!!

http://www.recipezaar.com/207187

What cut of brisket and what size did you use? If you used a flat or a really small brisket it would be easy to over sear. I don't use a high sugar rub and would suspect that could also be part of the problem. Sugar gets very bitter when charred. If your not sure about the amount of sear to use, view the slideshow in the newsletter.

Shoot me a PM if you want to discuss it more. I'm always glad to be of help.

I've used SmokyOkie's method several times now and I think it's the best way to go. I used a Texas Local rub called Zack's. Not to much sugar in that to start with. A full packer brisket and no trimming done at all. The easiest method going and with the best results.
JMHO
Jimbo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky