Okay, I Really Gotta Know...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Little-m

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 27, 2019
Winnipeg
I've been reading posts here for some time and it seems many of you either have extremely large families, tons of friends or tapeworms.

For many, smoke sessions usually involve gobs of meat - 40-60lbs at times - in one session. WTF do you do with all of it? Where does it all go?

Mark

Al5h8UN.jpg
WTF do you do with all of it? Where does it all go?

You mean a picture like this? Heheheee. I have a philosophy that if you are going to build a fire, it takes the same amount of charcoal to cook 5# of meat as it does to cook 10# or 20# of meat. So for larger / longer cooks I'll use some for the freezer, maybe make some tacos with leftovers, but usually get a neighbor or friend lined up to share.

Cooking a steak or some chops, I use a smaller grill and lump charcoal. I shut the cooker down and can re-use the charcoal.

You mean a picture like this? Heheheee. I have a philosophy that if you are going to build a fire, it takes the same amount of charcoal to cook 5# of meat as it does to cook 10# or 20# of meat. So for larger / longer cooks I'll use some for the freezer, maybe make some tacos with leftovers, but usually get a neighbor or friend lined up to share.

Cooking a steak or some chops, I use a smaller grill and lump charcoal. I shut the cooker down and can re-use the charcoal.

That sir, is a very valid point. Didn't think of it that way.

Okay, so far it's a combination of large(r) families, hoarding and bottomless stomach pits. My next thought is how often do you smoke, but I know someone will say 'when I run out of meat..', so I won't ask that question.

Mark

That sir, is a very valid point. Didn't think of it that way.

Okay, so far it's a combination of large(r) families, hoarding and bottomless stomach pits. My next thought is how often do you smoke, but I know someone will say 'when I run out of meat..', so I won't ask that question.

Mark
Okay you started it..... Now we're on the long trail of definitions and regional interpretations. I 'barbecue' things like briskets, ribs or pork butts, (still using live fire and flavor wood for making smoke), but 'smoke' things that are cured, like bacon or ham or salmon... and also non-cured things like cheese and butter. I might 'grill' steaks or chops, but I still use charcoal and some flavor wood so that also might be called 'smoke-cooking' instead of grilled.

EDIT - How often? I cook in my backyard 3 or 4 times a week. But not always barbecue meats, I might cook a pizza or a pan of enchiladas on my Big Green Egg.

I share a lot with friends. Sort of an informal barter system. One of my friends has a garage and whenever I have car issues he has me covered. Last October I was planning on a road trip to catch a couple of Rolling Stones shows and the afternoon before leaving every warning light started flashing on my truck. Called him up, he said bring it in. I had a brisket smoking and had the truck towed in. Three hours later it was fixed. On my way out the next morning I dropped off a chunk of brisket that I was bringing to share with friends in LA. Everyone ended up happy.

I also have been known to pack a cooler as checked luggage and bring BBQ to friends in NY. One has a bar, the other has a steakhouse. I feed them and they feed and drink me.

I've been reading posts here for some time and it seems many of you either have extremely large families, tons of friends or tapeworms.

For many, smoke sessions usually involve gobs of meat - 40-60lbs at times - in one session. WTF do you do with all of it? Where does it all go?

Mark
Not really sure where you are coming from.
Most of us cook a brisket or a pork butt. Some here do hundreds of pounds at a time, but that’s not typical. A 15 to 20# brisket, or a 8-10# pork butt is norm. I can do 200# pounds of meat at at time, but usually do 10- 20 pounds. That’s more the normal.

Reactions: bigfurmn and TNJAKE
Tapeworms. Bwahahahahahaha! I’m going to laugh about that all night. That’s freaking hilarious.
I concur with many others, vacuum sealing. If I’m going to fire up my Yoder, there’s a ton of space in that beast and I’m already burning pellets anyway and bacon and ham freezes really well. Also, like others, I gift it or use it as bribes/barter. If I ever get fired my boss runs out of ham and bacon. Job security.

I cook up at the firehouse for the guys quite often. My cousin is district captain on shift. Takes a lot of food to feed 6 hungry firemen!

HEY! That's a good idea!!

I have a fire barn on my block. I should wheel some equipment down there and cook something up for them. I've never met those guys and gals. Should be fun!

Murph

Reactions: Little-m
I advise against boiling water for vac sealed meals, had a couple bags unmeld, ruined my meat, a lite simmer if you don't have a SV heater, see more ways to spend your $$ lol . 140 for a while works very well imo.

Reactions: TNJAKE
It's the same amount of work and time to do extra... Bacon, tongue and ham in my smoker...
Be sure you have a recipe you really like.....

bacon3 002.JPG

picnic done 002.JPG

002.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Little-m
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky