OK peoples...looking for a Knockwurst recipe like those I had in Germany

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
I'm currently in a sausage-making frenzy (made bangers, sweet Italian, Brats, and pan sausage today)...

Years ago when we were stationed in Frankfurt, they had these tiny shops on what seemed to be just about every street corner (can't remember what they were called) that sold beer/sodas, fries, sausages, etc (fast food, I guess). I often stopped at the one closest to home and bought what "looked" like a big fat red hotdog on a bun w/spicy mustard, but the flavor was SO much better than what I was accustomed to as a "hot dog"...the woman called it knockwurst.

Can someone point me towards a recipe for this wondrous thing?

ST, Here is a decent knackwurst recipe,may not be what you want ?
6.0 lbs. lean pork
1.4 lbs. lean beef
2.6 lbs. fat pork
11.32 grams (0.4 oz.) Prague Powder Cure #1 (American = 2 level teaspoons)
81 grams salt
0.6 oz. black pepper
0.25 oz. caraway seeds (2.5 tspns.)
0.15 oz. garlic powder (1.5 tspn.)

I was stationed near Franfurt for 6 years in the 80s. I think I remember knackwurst or whatever , was most closely like our hotdogs than other sausages. But garlic flavored.
They had veal and pork mostly.
Good stuff but I think 4 or 5 other types of wurst there I had would be ahead of those.

Your thinking of the Embiß stands. Embiss or Imbiss stands.. they had some kinds of chicken and wurst with Pommes or pommeFrittes or French fries.. stuff sound with or in a Brotchen (roll). Drinks..

6.0 lbs. lean pork
1.4 lbs. lean beef
2.6 lbs. fat pork
81 grams salt
0.6 oz. black pepper
This looks interesting. Should it be emulsified and what sort of casings would be best?
I haven't tried emulsifying yet, but the Mrs got a new mixer for Christmas (thank you) and I was just wondering...

6.0 lbs. lean pork
1.4 lbs. lean beef
2.6 lbs. fat pork
81 grams salt
0.6 oz. black pepper

Thanks...will scale it down and give it a whirl.

I was stationed near Franfurt for 6 years in the 80s. I think I remember knackwurst or whatever , was most closely like our hotdogs than other sausages. But garlic flavored.
They had veal and pork mostly.
Good stuff but I think 4 or 5 other types of wurst there I had would be ahead of those.

Your thinking of the Embiß stands. Embiss or Imbiss stands.. they had some kinds of chicken and wurst with Pommes or pommeFrittes or French fries.. stuff sound with or in a Brotchen (roll). Drinks..

I was there in '75 - '76. I thought I remembered them being called "trinkhalles", but when I googled it, what I got was some sort of "pump house", so that's not it!

This looks interesting. Should it be emulsified and what sort of casings would be best?
I haven't tried emulsifying yet, but the Mrs got a new mixer for Christmas (thank you) and I was just wondering...

I intend to make a 2lb batch and use what I've got...hog casings (brat size...I'd have to go to the kitchen and look at the package to get the mm, but I'm too lazy right now).

As for emulsification, I'll use my food processor and run it through a couple of cup's at a time (it's old and not one of the better models).

Yea.. they were called imbiss stands. Looked like small trailer things stuck in locations on busy streets or by army kassernes. Just the size of a small shed usually.

P3260548.JPG
bild1-104822-31032011.jpg

Oh yeah those wurst carts, YUM. Ate off them in Berlin and Magdeburg.

Currywurst.

Let me see what i have.

My Bad, I copied this from a private conversation and not a post.
This was given to me by muhkuhmuh a fellow member here.
c4a5c7d9-bf07-4550-b5ee-cc9555cbccb8-jpeg.349500

Here's a quick translation, when I get time I can translate the comments about the garlic. or maybe someone who speaks German can help me out.

Knackwurst

Meat

30% beef

25% pork

30% bacon

15% Crushed ice (Edited for the second time)

Spice per Kg

2.5g cure #1 (German cure is different then US cure so I modified the salt and #1 amounts)

18 g salt

2.5g white pepper

0.25g nutmeg

0.5g mace

0.5g paprika

0.25g coriander

1g msg

5g onion

0.5g garlic

Last edited:
Here's a quick translation, when I get time I can translate the comments about the garlic. or maybe someone who speaks German can help me out.

Knackwurst

Meat

30% beef

25% pork

30% bacon

15% ice water

Spice per Kg

2.5g cure #1 (German cure is different then US cure so I modified the salt and #1 amounts)

18 g salt

2.5g white pepper

0.25g nutmeg

0.5g mace

0.5g paprika

0.25g coriander

1g msg

5g onion

0.5g garlic

how much meat are you using total?

www.grillsportverein.de is the web address muhkuhmah linked me to for a Weisswurst recipe. Pretty much a German version of SMF. It's pretty cool because when I got there I was offered an English translation. I don't know if it was the website or my browser but it worked. Still a bit different and everything is Metric, but you can figure it out. I'm thinking about registering as a member....
That being said, I think most of us are just wanting to make brats that taste like Johnsonville Brats ;)

Oh yeah, Imbiss stands. I loved the curry wurst and knack wurst with
Pommes frittes. The wurst with Scharfer Senf would burn your nose hair!

Reactions: mr big d
Hey Smokey, Did you find a recipe there? I looked around and didn't find any sausage recipes even using the search bar.
Nice site though.
No, I didn't really look for any. I just checked out the post for Weisswurst that muhkuhmah linked me to. I was looking for something that didn't require Veal...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky