Ok, here we go.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Jar,

I would like to get paint on it soon, just for rust reasons, but other than that I'm not in that much a hurry, just going to take my time and enjoy doing all the little detail work now that all the heavy work is over with.

Getting close, Rib !!!   looking better and better all the time, can't wait to see how it smokes and the burners working.  What we had in mind (If we ever get around to it)  Was to cut out a couple of  logos, one small one larger, have them chromed and attach them in a couple different places, I've see a few done like that, really makes them stand out.

Gary

Gary

Well, took me 4 of the 16 oz spray cans of rustoleum ultra to get a seal coat on the cooker portion, may have been able to do it in less, but wind was blowing good today. Usually I buy paint by the quart and spray it on with a paint gun, but I was determined to try out the ultra. Lowes was out of those triggers for the spray cans, so now I got sore fingers with black tips! I don't think I'm going to go this route again!

On that burner Gary, I've already decided to rebuild it. I'm going to take the 1.5" stainless flat bar I bout for a drip guard along with some 1/2" stainless flat bar and fabricate a all stainless burner. I'll drill the holes in the 1/2" wide bar, use it for the sides, and use the 1.5" for the top and bottom. I'll recess the 1/2" so that the top overhangs past it about 3/16", and that will keep the grease away from the holes. It will give me a flatter burner, plus it will be all stainless. And it will look nicer.

popcorn.gif

I was planning on doing the trailer with epoxy primer and Nascar black urethane, but I'm wondering if the have a good chrome paint on the market? Think that wood look cool too?

That trigger makes all the difference, been using mine for about 4 years

Gary

I was planning on doing the trailer with epoxy primer and Nascar black urethane, but I'm wondering if the have a good chrome paint on the market? Think that wood look cool too?
The chrome would look cool, but I don't know of any chrome paints that look like real chrome plating.

Black chrome would also look cool. Dupli-Color[emoji]174[/emoji] Shadow[emoji]8482[/emoji] Chrome Black-Out Coating is a relatively inexpensive way to achieve the black chrome look.

Last edited:
So, 12 cans later and I got four good coats, that doesn't count how much went on my garage floor and walls, and caked up in my nose!

About three times the $$ of just going with the satin, I hope the extra $$ and work will be worth it with the semigloss. It definitely has more shine. One thing though, spray cans make you put it on it light coats, and light coats is the key to not having problems with this kind of paint. If I would have set it up in the spray booth and used hvlp gun on it, I would have rushed it and stacked the coats on too fast.

Now I will let it dry for a week before masking it up and painting the trailer next Sat. Then assembly and dressing out begins!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky