Oh no! Did I ruin a first football Sunday smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kkurtz21

Original poster
Sep 8, 2019
Boston, MA
Hey everyone, been reading this form for a couple months now, have learned quite a bit, and now need some advice!

I put a 9.3# rubbed up pork shoulder on my gmg at 11:20pm last light. Woke up 6am to find my smoker had ran out of pellets BUT the shoulder was still 143°. I fired it back up and it got up to 205° in about an hour and half to finish (8am).

Safe to eat? I’m not sure how long the grill was essentially off for. Also, Why did this cook so fast also?! 8:40 total cook time with my obvious lapse in not waking up to check on things. Any advice is appreciated!!!
Thank you!

Attachments

• C33ACDA6-EF5E-486F-8809-CB19FBD9FB84.jpeg
    C33ACDA6-EF5E-486F-8809-CB19FBD9FB84.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Well if it was still 143 when you woke up it sounds like you cleared the 4/140 rule so it should be fine.
The grill was cold, but the meat was still warm to the touch and read 143 internally..so definitely cooled down some as well

Your choice of course, but I would eat it if it were me.

It is safe to eat,post some of the finished pics when it is done.Welcome to SMF
Richie

just to add, if you plan on doing overnight smokes you might want to look into a low/high temp alarm to keep by your bed. it might save your butt some night!!

just to add, if you plan on doing overnight smokes you might want to look into a low/high temp alarm to keep by your bed. it might save your butt some night!!
Yep, what smokerjim said. I use a Maverick ET-733 or a Solis, but there are many remote probe thermometers on the market today that have those alarms. I also throw a folded welding blanket over the GMG to give it more insulation overnight. It uses less pellets that way. I think your pork butt will be fine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky