• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Offset - Sticks or Charcoal for Turkey?

COandSlow

Joined Nov 24, 2020
I recently finished building my offset and was thinking of using it for my Thanksgiving Turkey. I have done a good number of Turkeys on my WSM successfully but was thinking of giving the offset a try. I see a lot of recipes for using charcoal but not a ton of using it as a true stick burner. What level of success have you guys had with the different methods?

sawhorseray

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2014
I don't use any charcoal with my SQ36 for over a year now. I light up hickory splits with a weed torch and manage heat control with the vents, firebox door, and size of the fire. I do mostly butts, spares, and dino ribs, but I've done a few whole yardbirds on it too, cooks everything great. I haven't done a turkey, and most likely won't, because I don't care all that much for them except for turkey sandwiches, and we haven't had any company for eight months, and none coming anytime soon. Get a nice bed of coals using wood, feed small splits and control your heat, you should be fine, that's why they're called stick burners. RAY

tx smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Exactly what Ray said. He's got you dialed in with some really good info. Heck, i'd never think of using charcoal in my smoker. A valid question on your part though.

Robert

COandSlow

Joined Nov 24, 2020
Thanks Ray and Robert,

I think you're right. I have a pile of perfectly seasoned oak splits ready for the job. I put a propane burner in the firebox, I'll get a steady coal bed going before I start smoking. Worst case scenario the wife and I force down some over smoked or dry turkey. No crowd this year for the same reason as you.

tx smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Worst case scenario the wife and I force down some over smoked or dry turkey.
Just pay attention to the IT of the turkey and you can't lose. I seriously doubt you'll have dried out or over cooked bird. The reason: because you're aware of what you're getting into and will pay very close attention. That removes a lot of the possibility for mistakes.

Robert

COandSlow

Joined Nov 24, 2020
Hey Guys, thanks again for the help. The turkey turned out perfect, better than past years on the WSM which we liked a lot. I used 100% Colorado Oak, the smoke flavor was way more refined than using wood chunks on charcoal.

I do have a question about controlling temps with all wood. Is it typical on offsets for the temperatures to fluctuate a lot between splits? I know it's not set-it-and-forget-it and you can't expect the +-5 degrees like you can get on a WSM with a fan controller. I did a butt on Friday and tried to control air flow with just the door. That said, each time I put on a split or two the temp would increase 30-40 degrees or so and would start dropping gradually over the next 30 minutes to where I would need another split, maybe a total delta of 60-80 degrees some points in the smoke. I've read that some people hold pretty steady temps between splits and it only start dropping once they need a fresh piece of wood. I was preheating splits. It was also 30-40f out and a little breezy so that might have played a part. Butt turned out great, hard to mess those up.

I ask because I made the offset myself and don't have a reference point for a reasonable expectation. The CC is 24" around by 52" long with a semi-insulated FB (22"x 24") and a franklin-esque smoke collector at grate level, all 1/4" steel. All dimensions are within reason of Feldon's equation with the exception of the SS being 6" longer than calculated. I can get it to hold +-10f with with the fireboard and pit viper but I would like to learn to better control it manually.

Also, the grate level temp is 50 deg lower than about 4" above the grate but I think this is pretty normal. My left-right temp difference is about the same, I don't have my baffle plate cut yet.

20201126_095747.jpg

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.