Offset Smoker recommendations in California

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daspyknows

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 9, 2020
el cerrito ca
Looking for a new offset smoker. Have used a Weber for years but time to upgrade. Budget ideally $750 to $1500 and want to use wood rather than pellets. Any ideas? Located in Northern California.

"Kat" check Craig's list, might have to save a little longer depending on what size you're looking for.

Check out Allen's welding and woodworking on youtube and facebook. This guy is out of TX and makes amazing stuff at great prices, a 40" offset is $950 + shipping, 3/16" steel, $1,050 for 1/4"

As forktender mentioned, KAT out of Modesto, you can find them on craigslist. GStackPits in Suisun, they use to be in Vallejo. Norcal Patio and BBQ in Santa Clara use to carry yoder and horizon stick burners, and Bass Pro in Rocklin I believe carries horizon as well.

Edit - KAT has a website now, just enter KAT bbq smokers in google.

Last edited:
Reactions: forktender
There are some great builders out there but make sure you check the freight costs. I got my Klose grill last year at 650# the freight was $480. This year I got an LSG cabinet and at 950# freight was $580. Both out of Texas to Calif

Call KAT and see what he has that fits your budget. He is near Modesto

Kat builds one hell of a reverse flow offset smoker.
I've had the pleasure to smoke 30 racks of ribs, and a whole hog on one, not at the same time over a weekend.
They are built like a tank and Kat stands behind each smoker, if I had the space I'd buy one in a heart beat.

Where bouts in Norcal do you live? I'm from Clayton now living in Concord.

Good Luck.
Dan

Bass Pro sells Horizon Offset Smokers 1/4 steel with free shipping. I have the 24" Marshal .

Well, it finally arrived today on a broken pallet, strapped to another pallet. Looked like it had fallen over in shipping. Handles bent to a 46 degree angle with paint scraped off. I refused delivery and will see what tomorrow brings. Late and damaged is not a good thing.

Should've called horizon while the delivery guy was there, to ask about a heavily reduced price like 4 or 5x the shipping cost and got it repaired.

That stinks sorry man, shipping anything since Covid has been a complete cluster hump.
Don't you have a Bass Pro Shops near you? They have a store on Cherry Ave in S.J I know they ship to B.P. and you could pick it up from them.

I did, they were already closed. UPS LTL delivery guy warned me. He didn't expect me to take it. I wonder if it was on one of the trucks blown over by the high winds in Utah. I figure those discussions will occur tomorrow but after seeing it not sure that makes much sense unless its $500 off.

There was no benefit from ordering from Bass Pro Shops and getting it from there to where I live would have required renting a U-Haul to drive it home.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky