Officially welcoming my "30's"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hotwhls55

Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Willamette Valley - Pacific NW
Hello fellow SMF patrons!

I go by Timothy, Tim, or the occasional "That Guy"

I recently turned 30 July '10. First take at being 30, didn't seem any different than being 29... Until - I purchased my first pair of Rockport dress shoes for work - um, I've been keeping the brand under wraps to not age myself amongst my peers... Until NOW. I took 2nd place in a No Limit Deep Stack Poker Tournament on 2/19/2011, yield a fine return. I awake yesterday to a dandy Bi-Mart advertisement in my paper... with money to burn, I eagerly and meticulously looked at each item, tempting myself to purchase something with the smoldering cash I had. BAM, it was like that - the greatest, buzz inducing "Ah-Ha" moment I've ever had: 30" propane Smoke Hollow smoker was pictured. My mind was baffled with flooding thoughts of finally being able to obtain that real BBQ taste I've only ever paid dearly for while visiting/working in Kansas City. I promptly found myself sitting in my Hybrid Camry, backing out of the garage, destination: Bi-Mart… Task @ hand: Buy 1st Smoker - Accept that I'm officially in my 30's - Mission accomplished!

I'm excited to get home this evening and assemble the smoker and season it. I've been reading all over Smoking-Meat.com, "Like" Smoking-Meat.com on facebook, read dozens of SMF posts pertaining to Propane Smokers & Seasoning - I kept seeing a reoccurring reply to many posters... hit up Roll Call and introduce myself... so here I am - 30 and Proud of it, rocking my Rockport shoes and embracing the desire to smoke my own meat!

Outside of the above, I work as a Release Engineer, based out of Oregon. One benefit of my career and organization: I work from my home office every Wednesday <-- Why is that important you ask, well I'm about to tell you: I have always reserved my Wednesday as creative cooking/BBQ'n day. With each attempt of doing a low & slow, I've missed the "perfection" mark (granted, the food has tasted good and fallen off the bone, but I always knew there was something missing).

I'm an avid poker play... so; I'm well versed with having to take some risk to win... I'm hoping with this mentality, I'll be able to produce some wicked good smoked meat!

... I'm going to stop now, as honestly, it's not that I lack what else to say - I don't know what not to say :-)

I'm looking forward to learning, sharing many things regarding my new venture into home meat smoking!

Last edited:
Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif

Welcome to SMF. That will be money well spent

Welcome to SMF this is a great site you can find or get the answers to all your questions here. Good luck with the smoker

WOW - Thank you all for the kind and warm welcome - I'm looking forward to both learning here and sharing my triumphs (and failures, but I'm hoping to not have too many of those)

Plans didn't go as planned last night, thus my new smoker still sits unassembled, sad and lonely. If not tonight, definitely tomorrow as I will be working from home and won't be able to resist putting it together.

Again, thank you all for the awesome acceptance to SMF, it's a journey for me which is merely just beginning!

Tim

Welcome!!

Lots of info here.

Read the Wikis and use the handy dandy search tool.

Have a great day!!

Craig

Thanks Oregon Smoker... Yes, being from the Pac NW is a huge bonus... though, this "snowmageddon" in the valley is for the birds :-)

I was able to get my smoker built yesterday and was planning on seasoning it... though, the weather did not cooperate... I will plan on seasoning Saturday (sun is in the forecast) and hopefully, smoke something Sunday (sun is in the forecast too)... I'm looking forward to my first QView - oh and getting my signature added to my posts... it says I need to post more before the signature is added... ??? Anyway, the site is so great, I don't plan on making it an issue if the signature never shows up.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky