Odd brisket occurrence

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boblloyd91

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 22, 2016
Lynndyl, UT
So I think I finally made a decent brisket, however something odd happened a few minutes into cutting it. To explain, I use a WSM and prepped the meat (a 5 lb point) last night with a rub and injectable marinade. I put it on at 6 in the morning and got it out at 5 this evening. I cut it after a 10 minute cool down period. Initially it was very moist and tender, but about 20 minutes later it is now dryer and less tender. I was wondering what I did wrong. It still tastes very good, I just don't know what I did wrong.

Ten minutes wasn't a long enough rest to let the juices reabsorb into the meat. I would go an absolute minimum of 20-30 minutes and many here will wrap a brisket in foil followed by a towel and put into a cooler or cold oven for 1-3 hours.

Reactions: boblloyd91
I don't have nearly the experience as a lot of the fine folks on here but I think MyOwnIdaho has it nailed. Probably need to let it rest a bit longer before cutting.

Brisket does tend to dry out after you cut into it & it cools down. 

A longer rest will help with that, but also making an Au Jus from the brisket drippings & spooning some on the brisket when you serve it will help too.

Al

Reactions: boblloyd91
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky