'Nudja rabbit rillette

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I saw this made by Butcher's Pantry (one of their associates posts here), so not my idea. Made a few minor changes.

I couldn't find a "farmed rabbit" section so I posted it here, since I am using the whole rabbit.

Rabbit is lean, so i this is uncharted territory for me (i usually make duck or pork rillette).

I chopped it up and left overnight with salt and spices.

Then it went into a cast iron pot with pork lard for confit-ing.
20181020_092124-1.jpg

See you later.

I'm in. I love this kind of Old World cooking...JJ

You tought those little bones get tossed? No siree! Saved for some soup...we are on the "nose to tail" forum after all.
20181020_152222-1.jpg

We tasted it: the 'nduja flavours take over as expected. A bit salty, a bit smoky, a bit porky, a bit papriky, yet tender as rabbit meat.

That was just sampling. The two jars get sealed with lard and go for a little rest. Rillette is not for the impatient hearts.

I have a few more sticks of 'nduja...can't say i am crazy about it...so i will make this again.

Things are getting confusing in my fridge: this rillette looks almost like the eggplant/red pepper spread i made.

20181020_153414-1.jpg

Reactions: xray
Never had either, rillette or nduja, but it looks good and I'm adventuresome.
I have some really nice crusty baguettes and goat cheese, might go right nice with the rillette.
While goat cheese pairs well with a lot of charcuterie i find the best choice for rillette are pickles. Crusty baguette? That's a no brainer.

Looks very good, atomic.

Your title, "nduja rabbit rillette", initially had me a bit confused as I was thinking nduja and rabbit rillette, both of which I've made in the past, are two totally different things. Once I saw that you combined the two it made sense.

The nduja I've made in the past turned out pretty good, but not quite as good as a nearby Calabrian restaurant that offers their house made version on the menu. A few years ago they started offering their nduja, as well as other traditional Calabrian charcuterie, at retail for a very reasonable price so I just buy it there.

The rillettes that I've made are usually done with pork, duck, salmon, or tuna, but never rabbit. Now you've inspired me to do so.

Like!

Looks very good, atomic.

Your title, "nduja rabbit rillette", initially had me a bit confused as I was thinking nduja and rabbit rillette, both of which I've made in the past, are two totally different things. Once I saw that you combined the two it made sense.

The nduja I've made in the past turned out pretty good, but not quite as good as a nearby Calabrian restaurant that offers their house made version on the menu. A few years ago they started offering their nduja, as well as other traditional Calabrian charcuterie, at retail for a very reasonable price so I just buy it there.

The rillettes that I've made are usually done with pork, duck, salmon, or tuna, but never rabbit. Now you've inspired me to do so.

Like!
I tried 'nduja home made, store bought, restaurant served. While they were all ok, they were not what i thought they would be (only learned about 'nduja a few years ago on this forum). Once i saw Butcher's Pantry creation i thought: that's what i'd like.
I am confident you will love it too.

Man I must lead a simpler life then I thought. I never heard of this let alone tasted it. Heck I don't even think I can pronounce it correctly, but it sure looks delicious.

Point for sure.
Chris

Last edited:
That's beautiful. The sour pickles go Great for cutting the fat and getting your mouth ready for the next bite. I like raw sweet Onion with fatty Duck Liver Mousse...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky