Not quite a newbie, but....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokeyMtnMike

Original poster
May 8, 2019
Been smoking for a few years now. Some things turn out better than others however. I use a Smokey Mountain Series propane smoker that seems adequate for my use but the main problem I have on some items is I often don't get enough smoke flavor in the meat. Especially a non-poultry item like pork loins. I usually burn 2 containers of wood chips during a session. Should I be burning wood chips the entire cooking process? A smoke box full of chips might last only 20 minutes or so.........thanks for any help. Smoking canadian bacon this weekend.

PS....I tried to get the Basics smoking class but it does not appear to be supported anymore. thanks again.

Welcome to the site, although I'm not a gasser. I believe if you use a cast iron pan over your flames with chunks of wood you'll get better results. One of the gasses should chime in at some point to help you out.

Chris

Welcome to the SMF! Check out A-MAZ-N tubes and trays. Should give you the smoke profile you are looking for.

Thanks for the warm welcoming! When y'all smoke say a pork loin, do you keep adding wood chips so that it smokes during the whole duration of cooking time? Is there a particular thread or forum I should ask 'newbie' questions? Again, I wanted to start with the Basics Course that I found on this website but it doesn't appear that you can get to it anymore. thanks again.

I have only smoked one pork loin and I did wood chunks the whole time, now on a brisket or pork butt I'll do wood for a few hrs, I have a propane smoker

Welcome to SMF.

To answer your question, it depends on what temperature you are smoking at.
For instance, if you are smoking at 225*F, the pores in the meat will stay open longer.
Thus allowing for more absorption of the smoke molecules into the surface of the meat.
In conjuction with that, a wetter surface will attract more smoke as well.
Typically, the meat pores will close up and not take on any more smoke at around 140*F.
At higher temperatures, the meat pores will close sooner thus not allowing anymore smoke to penetrate the surface.
So no, it is not necessary to keep the smoke rolling the entire cook unless you like wasting wood.
With that said, I am a smoke junkie.
I love the smell of smoke.
So, I would be a liar if didn't admit to adding a small amount of chips to my smoker tray the last hour or so during a cook.

As for the basic smoking course being closed, I don't know anything about that.
Perhaps you could send a PM to one of the mods.
Or, if you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, there is a contact us link.

I use a Master Built propane smoker. I use a 8 inch cast iron fry pan to put my wood chips in. They just smolder and don't catch fire. You said your chips only last about 20 minutes so try the fry pan it really helps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky